DIY plastic sump (wet-dry)?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
I've got my little breeding setup, and now I'm up to my tank limit, so, I know that my 29 gallon will be constantly overstocked (like really, I might have constantly 50+ inches of fish in there, probably more). I know that it is absolutely not necessary to put a sump or wet dry on a 29 gal, but I feel like I will need it, and I just need something to do in my free time. :headshake2: So, I'm thinking of making a wet-dry out of plastic containers.... I went by the store today and they had pretty good looking plastic containers that I think would do ok as a wet-dry, but it seems like no one else has tried such a thing to I'm just goanna run it by this thread and see if I get lots of people who absolutely am wondering what is wrong with my mind.

What I'm thinking of doing is taking those cheap plastic containers (like those Rubbermaids that you find that are meant for storage) and are stackable and come in different sizes. So here's what I'll have: a 7-15 gallon plastic container, then a 5-8 gallon plastic container that's the SAME length and with as the first one, so it can fit inside of the first one without falling to the bottom of it. Then, on top of that, I'll have a smaller (2-3 gallon) Rubbermaid, with the same "stackability" as before. Next, I'll cut holes in the bottom of the two smallest containers. I'll setup a PVC spraybar on top of the first container, and put a coarse sponge (1-1/2in thick) on the bottom of the smallest container. I would then put bio-balls between the smallest and second smallest container, allowing the water to trickle down. Finally, at the bottom of the largest container, there will be a space for the pump and any other media I think that I might want to put in there.

Here's a diagram:

Sump idea tupperware.jpg

So that's it! It's just a little project I'm thinking about, Any comments/questions are welcome! Thanks!

Sump idea tupperware.jpg

texasguy

AC Members
May 13, 2009
I think i saw someone from MFK that did something like this but they used a big tower of plastic drawers. Worked out really well for him, I'll see if I can find the thread.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
there are many ways to DIY a wet dry filter i think the easiest and best looking is to use the stacked drawers and set that in a rubber made storage bin as the sump. walmart carries all these items and are often on sale so its cheap and looks pretty nice. and you can get as wild as you like since these all come in various colors I'm going to build my next one out the the neon green :)
and yes your idea sounds fine. i have used wet drys on 29G tanks no reason you cant.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
I think i saw someone from MFK that did something like this but they used a big tower of plastic drawers. Worked out really well for him, I'll see if I can find the thread.
RodInCALIFORNIA said:
there are many ways to DIY a wet dry filter i think the easiest and best looking is to use the stacked drawers and set that in a rubber made storage bin as the sump. walmart carries all these items and are often on sale so its cheap and looks pretty nice. and you can get as wild as you like since these all come in various colors I'm going to build my next one out the the neon green
and yes your idea sounds fine. i have used wet drys on 29G tanks no reason you cant.
Thanks! OK, well I'll look into drawers too. Sounds like a project! OK, so one more question, I should use an overflow box, right? If so, what would be a good gph for my pump and overflow box to run at? I know that the flow should be relatively low, so what do you recommend? Do you recommend a DIY for the overflow box or a real one? I have had no sump/wet dry experience before, but I know someone who has made numerous sumps, so I'm just trying to get my ideas down first, then build.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i would say a 300GPH overflow box usually 3/4 bulkhead would be fine and a return pump that flows at around 250GPH taking into count head height will work out great. i am not a fan of diy made overflows i would suggest buying a real one on ebay for really cheap.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
i would say a 300GPH overflow box usually 3/4 bulkhead would be fine and a return pump that flows at around 250GPH taking into count head height will work out great. i am not a fan of diy made overflows i would suggest buying a real one on ebay for really cheap.
Ok, thanks! Looked at some overflow boxes and pumps today, and found a few, you can see how they look:

Overflow box:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Overfl...ultDomain_0&hash=item45f111158c#ht_3757wt_911

http://www.saltwatereddies.com/cont...t_id-1951/300_gph_prefilter_overflow_box.html

pump:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MAG-DRIVE-P...ultDomain_0&hash=item35a395c553#ht_2510wt_911

http://www.petmountain.com/show_pro...e=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=500543

They all seem a little on the expensive side, but If that's what I have to pay, so be it. Thanks so much though!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-OVERFL...416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5e512d08

this kit includes over flow box, pump and return spout all you need to pick up at home depot is your vinyl tubing. and if the flow is too much you can pick up a ball valve at home depot and install it in the RETURN tubing and adjust the flow from the pump.

you wont get the full flow rate from this pump because you will lose some flow depeding on how far your sump is below the aquarium and how far the pump has to push the water UP to the top of the tank that is called head height so you have to buy a pump a little larger to get the flow you want to make up for that difference but i think you would like this combo kit.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-OVERFL...416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5e512d08

this kit includes over flow box, pump and return spout all you need to pick up at home depot is your vinyl tubing. and if the flow is too much you can pick up a ball valve at home depot and install it in the RETURN tubing and adjust the flow from the pump.

you wont get the full flow rate from this pump because you will lose some flow depeding on how far your sump is below the aquarium and how far the pump has to push the water UP to the top of the tank that is called head height so you have to buy a pump a little larger to get the flow you want to make up for that difference but i think you would like this combo kit.
Ok, thanks! I'll get that! That looks great! About the pump, I own a Flotec utility pump, says that it pumps a maximum of 1470 GPH and 1320 at 3' (the top of my aquarium is 3' off of the ground) That seems like a little too much, but just throwing that in there, and if you think that 3' is small enough for that pump, then that's fine too.

Second, I'm going out to get supplies tomorrow, and so I was looking around at drawers on Target.con (there's no WalMart nearby here) and found this:

http://www.target.com/Sterilite-Dra...om_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

Would something like that work? I also have a one-drawer model but I feel like that I should have more than one drawer.

And the end result should look something like this, with the larger bin being used as a sump? I have a 56 quart bin that should work for that.

I'll start tomorrow on the project!

Thanks for all your help, it's been great!

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
Oh, sorry, I just remembered! What do you recommend filling the sump/ wet dry up with? Bio Balls? I have some matrix but only a little and I doubt it will work too well with a wet/dry, also have some purigen. There's a petsmart right next to Target that I can get some supplies at.

Thanks so much!

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Sounds like a good idea to use the drawers. and Rod gave you a nice link! i would suggest getting it.

Off Topic: did you ever setup those other breeding tanks you were talking about a little while ago?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store