Otocinclus, the Wonder Cat!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CoryWM

AC Members
Nov 11, 2008
www.tankgeek.com
The most common nuisance in a typical aquarium is the ever-abundant fiend known as algae. It can grow on your plants, blocking light and stifling growth. It grows on your glass, impeding the view through the window into world that you’ve worked so hard to create. In short, find a surface and it will grow! Short of periodically scrubbing every inch of your aquarium, or not allowing a single glimmer of light into your tank, what can be done to ward off this tormentor? Meet your best friend and aquatic lawnmower: the otocinclus.

The otocinclus is a dwarf sucker-mouth catfish that only grows to be about 2 inches long. This little guy loves nothing more than to eat the algae off of your plants, glass, and other tank décor and are not known to eat your aquatic plants. They specialize in eating soft green algae; often this algae is hard to see without looking closely for it. The otocinclus will eat it before it grows too long and gets out of control. Best of all, for all they do, they’re usually priced quite reasonably: anywhere from $1.99 to $5.99 each.

Peaceful tanks should find room for this little gem. Otocinclus don’t have a mean bone in their body and can be housed with fry and even baby dwarf shrimp. They are at their best when they can school with others of their own kind. When stressed they will travel in a pack foraging for food. Most of the time, you’ll only see this behavior when you first introduce them to your tank. Once they settle in they should not feel threatened and will school less often.

Experienced aquarists will tell you that otocinclus are a very resilient fish. They don’t often contract common illnesses that plague other fish. Their greatest weakness is not getting enough to eat during handling.

Unfortunately, otocinclus are not spawned in aquariums very often. This means that most specimens you buy from a pet store will be wild caught. As with other wild caught sucker-mouth catfish, this makes for a perfect storm. Otocinclus are scooped up by the hundreds and transported to a warehouse where they’re fasted for a few days before they are shipped out. They arrive at a wholesaler where a few hundred of them are put into a bare-bottom aquarium with no decoration and poor lighting. This means virtually no algae is grown in the tank. Algae wafers are supplied, however, the sheer number of otocinclus is too many to feed correctly. A week or so later, they should be on their way to your local pet store. The pet store puts them into a nice tank and will attempt to keep them fed. Feeding is difficult, however, as most stores stock a couple dozen of more otocinclus in one tank. This is odd because they wouldn’t stock anywhere near that many plecostomus in the same tank.

Don’t worry – even through all that stress, otocinclus can still thrive in your aquarium. Here are a couple of simple tips that will greatly increase the survivability of your new pet:

First, make sure you have algae in the tank for them to pig out on when you get them home. After a couple weeks of poor feeding, they’re plenty hungry! The best way to accomplish this is to have a quarantine tank and simply leave the light on for a week or so until you have algae growing all over the place.

Next, buy these fish the day after they come in to your pet store. This goes against conventional wisdom which says that you want to buy a fish that has been at the pet store longer to prove their longevity and lessen the shock of being transported too soon after arrival. Given that otocinclus are typically grouped together in such abundant numbers – and are often put into tanks that can’t produce algae as fast as they can consume it – you want the stronger fish separated from the rest as soon as possible. It is sometimes difficult to know which ones have been there longest. Therefore, you’ll want to take your group of otocinclus home and acclimate them into your quarantine tank that has been growing algae in anticipation of their arrival. This will lessen the time they spend starving as you’ll already have a buffet waiting for them at home.

Otocinclus are best suited for peaceful community setups. Given their size and timid nature, they are easily out-competed for food. Make sure you have algae for them to eat before adding them to your aquarium and you’ll be amazed at the algae-control one little fish can provide. Give this dwarf catfish a try and it’ll surely win you over. I know I couldn’t live without them!

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
I have been meaning to pick up a few of these

rill2004

AC Members
Nov 19, 2008
Georgia, USA
very interesting read. we love otocinclus. in fact we have some in all our community tanks. we bought 5-6 from petsmart a few months ago, quarantine for a few weeks and to our surprise all is doing well. we dont buy fish from petsmart but at 1.00 each who can resist.

if fact we just got in from buying six more from petsmart(1.00 each). they are my ssecond favorite fish next to corydoras sterbias.

2rivers

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
NH
Real Name
Brandon
Ottos and pygmy corries keep my Crypt plants super clean and perfect.always room for more of these guys.Cryptocoryne leaves wither if not kept somewhat free of algae

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
great read, and very informitive! I just lost my last oto today after battling ich :(

bettalover77

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Real Name
Alex
gotta love ottos

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
That was a very informative read, thanks. I'd love to put some in my 10g, I'm afraid they'd get picked on or definately wouldn't get to the food in time in my 75g. I'm going to have them on the list for my next tank which will just be for Samurai Gourami's.

digitalphrage

oh god how did this get here i am n
Yep, I've had these little guys before and loved them. If you get them, get a small group...without researching I'd guess at least 4 but more if you have the room and can afford it. They tend to school in loose packs as they feed. It's really awesome to watch, especially if you're used to seeing solitary plecos.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I can only get them at the chains here and they're not very hardy. Sad panda face :cheers:

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I've got otos in both my planted tanks. Love these guys!

I'm planning to pick up a few more in the near future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store