julii cory full of eggs!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ok so today i noticed i left my heater off for almost a week!!! i thought i had plugged it in last water change but it only half way plugged in. now my female is full of eggs. i think i have a 2 male to 1 female ratio :( im hoping to see my peppered corys full of eggs soon!! i plan on raising the eggs just for the heck of it. any advice?

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
If they are doing the T then she should lay them right after. My corydoras paleatus lay their eggs as soon as they are done with the T.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Agree with big mike. Wait as long as u can to remove the eggs. They harden over time and are easier to remove then.

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
We had great luck with our first batch of peppered cories. We waited no more than a few minutes after she laid them and started scraping the eggs off the glass with a razor blade and letting them drop into a plastic cup. On some of the plants where a lot of the plant was covered with eggs we moved the whole plant to the nursery tank. All in all we probably had close to 60 eggs. They hatch within 2 days and all of the fry accept maybe 2 or 3 survived in the 10 gallon nursery tank. We use a small HOB filter with a fluval intake sponge. It needs to be changed every couple of days if you are using the hibari (sp) first bites like we did.

Ours are now around 6 months old and all of our tanks have between 5 and 10 cories. Plus we still have close to 30 in the nursery tank! I just gave away 3 more last night.

BTW: Our Angels follow around the cories now and when she lays, they immediately eat the eggs.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
well i dont see any eggs but the were doing the T :( can you keep different fry together? like corys and killifish?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Unless you have been continuaaly watching the tank, they could have laid and then ate them. Look around on the glass for signs that something was there.

As far as the fry...as long as they have the same water and temp parameter needs and are of similar size, then you should be able to keep them together.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
still no eggs :( i really wanted to breed them. is a 10 gallon too small to keep 3 julii corys in? theyd be takin out after they breed. how often do they breed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store