first fish tank, notice white spots on fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dan420

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2011
bay area ca
Real Name
Dan
This is my first freshwater tank, I added 5 glowlight tetras to my tank and its day 6 and I started noticing some of the fins are milky in small parts, I dont know what it is. I think it might be ich but Im not sure I have been testing the water and the quality is good. the temperature has been changing a bit from about 75 to about 81 throughout the day to night. I added some stress coat to the water. Does anyone know what this is and what is causing it? + how can I treat it?

Sorry for the blurry images, look at the white area on the fin

IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0317.JPG IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0316.JPG

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Ich is white spots, that look like you can pick them off, like grains of salt or sand.
From your pictures it doenst seem to be ick to me, but its hard to tell without a clear image.

What do the whites spots look like?
Is it a loss of coloration, or does something white appear to be attached to the fish?
does it look hard, or fuzzy?

Dan420

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2011
bay area ca
Real Name
Dan
I would say it looks more like a discoloration, on the clear parts of the fins. the fins also appear to be slightly frayed at the tips with the discoloration

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
You say it is your first tank...is it cycled? Have you done water testing. It is hard to tell from pics. Can u get a clearer one? I know it's hard especially when it is something you specifically are trying to show. That's always when my pics are the worst!! LOL

Dan420

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2011
bay area ca
Real Name
Dan
I have added bacteria to start the cycle, i also have been checking the water for ammonia and nitrate.
my ammonia lvl is .35-.40 ppm
NO2 is at 0ppm
NO3 is at 0ppm
Im working on getting higher res photo

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I think likely it is the ammonia affecting e fins and not ich. The higher res pic will be helpful

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC...moving this to the FW Illness Forum for you...

Dan420

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2011
bay area ca
Real Name
Dan
update! water change/ ammonia safe tablet

thanks bob

so I did a water change of about 55% of the water in the tank (I used stress coat to dechorinize the tap water...is that ok?) and waited until today to check the ammonia which was at 1.0 ppm so I added tetra ammonia safe --link-----> http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/Detail.aspx?id=4242 I used a 1 tab 10 gal dose to my 14 gal tank and I'm waiting to see progress

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store