Feeding hillstream loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
What do I feed hillstream loaches? I'm planning on getting only sewellia lineolata but also Gastromyzon scitulus if I can find them. So far I researched that they like algae wafers, bloodworms, vegetables, and brine shrimp. Anything else? I want to be prepared before getting them.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Mine eat algae, shrimp pellets, garbage and other crap that settles on the substrate, etc.

What fish are stocked with them? Mine rarely get a good meal because they are with corys and plecos. If you have very energetic bottomfeeders, you might need to spotfeed r find something only they like.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Thanks for the links. I'll check it out when I get on my home computer.

Spencer, I don't plan on adding anything else to the tank. Just the loaches.

PlecoLuvr

AC Members
Aug 7, 2011
MD
I feed mine shrimp pellets and Pure Aquatic bottom feeder pellets. They are both big but when they are in the water for just a bit they get soft. mine love them and I alternate between they to give them a balanced diet. They also like green beans, don't ask me why, but they do.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Thanks for the links. I'll check it out when I get on my home computer.

Spencer, I don't plan on adding anything else to the tank. Just the loaches.
Ok, then algae wafers, veggies, shrimp pellets, etc. Would work.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Thank you all for the food suggestions. Will check everything out once I'm home.

Happypoet, I love your hillstream tank. Such a lovely environment for the fishes. Yea, I'm going to see if my local transhipper can get me some since he gets a lot of Asian fishes.

Last edited:

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks so much! It's my favorite tank I've done so far.

I just ordered a kg of the Mazuri Herbivore gel powder (the smallest amount one can order). Inka sent me some to sample before I bought, so I'll pass on his kindness and send you a sample from my batch if you want to try it sometime. Just pm if/when you want it! Sewellia are adaptable to a variety of foods, but mine certainly seem to like the stuff!

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I'll make sure to PM you before getting the loaches. Right now I'm just planning and getting their tank ready. Planning to get them around the end of November or December. Not in any hurry since I want to make it the best I can for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store