20g long Neolamprologus multifasciatus Journal 9/2011

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
It's a 20g Long with 8 multi's. Coralife normal output t-5 lighting. Going to either leave the lighting off during the day or add some marimo balls. Not sure yet.

One aqueon filter and one 100W theo heater. I got the fish from a local breeder.

Behavior: There are two larger multis. I believe these to be male. One of which sort of dominates the tank. The other is kind of staying in the corner. The one in the corner is kind of shunned from the colony, but i see other fish sort of come visit him, even the other larger multi. They're not really aggressive to each other, but it just looks awkward when they meet.

The other multis usually hang around a shell, and swim casually. When the dominant multi swims near, these other multis kind of pick on him a little bit. Sometimes this gets his attention, and sometimes it doesn't. Not sure if these are females or what. They could be males for all I know.

No significant digging noted but I have seen the multis take the sand in their mouths and move it around.

I will update this journal when anything "significant" happens. Comments and feedback are appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the full tank shot.

IMG_2291 by epiclaydown, on Flickr

random multi

IMG_2294 by epiclaydown, on Flickr

in hiding (you can see the larger multi in the background)

IMG_2319 by epiclaydown, on Flickr

hanging out i guess

IMG_2311 by epiclaydown, on Flickr

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Nice tank. If you have a male that has been "ousted" from the colony, I'd suggest arranging the rocks in the left hand corner in a semi circle, forming another area. Put a few shells in there, you might have a female come join him. If that doesn't work, you should consider rehoming him. Just a thought.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
Thanks for the kind words:

Just a quick update: Originally, one of the larger of the two males appeared to be ousted from the colony. I was surprised because the larger one was ousted.

More recently, it appears as though the roles have been reversed and the larger multi is in the colony, and the smaller of the two is ousted. I do see a few nips on his fins, and the two males clash occasionally, but nothing too major. It is fascinating to watch, although I really want more to see babies out of one of the females (if they are females). The other smaller multies just hang out above shells and interact a little with each other and the dominant male. They are all eating flake food and have dug up the substrate recreating the landscape. They're an interesting species to watch to say the least.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Beautiful brightly colored shells! What kind of shells are those?

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store