Breeding ages

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
At what age/size are Yellow labs and Peacock cichlids considered sexually mature? I've got a bunch of juveniles and I'm trying to start sexing them and figuring out (however gradually) which to keep, and also trying to figure out when they will be considered fully mature?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I would say they are ready to breed at around 2" long and 6-7 months old.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yellow labs differ than Peacocks do, actually Peacocks take longer to mature and for the males to show colors.. Labs at 2.5 to 3" and Peacocks around 3 to 3.5"

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Pitt, I had a female peacock holding eggs and she was just over 2" long. I was waiting for her to be a male ready to start to color up and she surprised me with hybrid fry.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
LOL we posted at the same time.. Your good i am just going by what i know from them from a long time ago..

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
Mine are around 2" long, maybe a bit bigger. . . I'm sure venting is the most reliable way to tell genders then, but being completely un-experienced on that, I'd be nervous to try but I've read some about peacock males having pointier dorsal fins and egg spots, is this a fairly correct way of telling? I think I read somewhere the egg spots was a hit and miss, some females get them?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah egg spots is a total miss, sometimes you can get by with fineage and actually venting can be tough when it comes to smaller size fish..

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
Maybe I'll try and get some super good pics and see if my guesses would be thought to be correct. lol

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
OK. . . Here goes. Some may be repeats of the same fish, they got a little confusing on me
First, I believe this is a Male. ..
MaleBlue2.JPG
MaleBlue.JPG
This guy I believe to be male too, he is the brightest colored of all my OB's and has a fairly pointed dorsal fin.
MaleQ.JPG
Next are alleged females? Like I said there may be repeats of the same fish LOL
FemaleTrickster.JPG
FemaleQ.JPG
FemaleQ2.JPG
FemaleQ1.JPG
Next are a few group shots, I blocked out in appropriate colors who i think is what!
MaleFemale.jpg
Guesses.jpg

I know some of the pictures aren't that great, but those little stinkers are FAST! LOL. Anyway I know its no 100% guessing, but maybe i'll get an idea if i'm in the right direction

MaleBlue2.JPG MaleBlue.JPG MaleQ.JPG FemaleTrickster.JPG FemaleQ.JPG FemaleQ2.JPG FemaleQ1.JPG MaleFemale.jpg Guesses.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store