GEV83's Potted Succulent Garden

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ok so winter was looking like it was over. Sun had been shinning the birds were singing the bees were out polinating and now we got rain again yay.... LOL. Well on one of my two days off for the past month Ive been working on my plants outside. I now only have a single cactus in the ground everything else is in pots. Gophers started coming out onto the cement to eat my plants though so I had a little war with them and they left. After I had it out with some rats that came from our neighbors patio. They decided they liked our shed better but a lil decon and they are gone too now. After all that I now have a severly shorter list of plant's.

I am in the process of selling some to create space. Right now Im selling off my San's Hahnii Jade Marginated. Then Ill sell another type of San's till I reduce my numbers. Only sad thing is between the gophers, rats oh and my mom's dogs most of them have leaf damage so Im only keeping a single pup from each variety I own. They reproduce quickly and hopefully then I could just sell them off on a regular basis and they wont be all damaged.

Well some of my Agave's were in 1 gallon pots and needed an upgrade so I moved several into 3 gallon pots but still got alot more to go. I even bought some landscaping bark (Black) to put with the plant's to help prevent weeds in my pots lol. Here are a few pic's of the ones I repotted and 2 of which I will be repotting next day off which is tomorrow.

Ok this is an example of how the plants look just in the pot with dirt.

Agave americana 'Striata'

Same plant but with the black landscapers bark.

Agave difformis

Agave difformis underside leaf striations.

Agave difformis pup

Agave 'Blue Glow'

Agave 'Blue Glow' Close up

Agave 'Sun Glow'

Agave 'Sun Glow' Close Up

Agave gypsophila

Agave gypsophila Close up

Agave desmettiana 'Joe Hoak'

Agave desmettiana 'Joe Hoak' Close Up

Agave neomexicana 'Sun Spot'

Agave 'Blue Flame'

Agave 'Blue Flame' Close Up

Agave 'Blue Flame' Marginated

Next two to be repotted for sure.

Agave 'Kissho Kan'

Agave 'Kissho Kan' Variegated

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Gorgeous! They look perfect to me, in spite of the leaf damage you describe. I work in a garden shop and we routinely charge $20 for specimens like your last two pics, for example...unfortunately they don't sell well so they tend to stay with us for months, even a year or more sometimes. Anything besides Sansevieria is considered exotic.

We have sprinklers, which they absolutely hate :( I regularly rotate a display of groupings of them inside, just to dry them off.

Good luck with your sales!

Last edited:

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Oh yea I know. The Agave's have done ok with the wet winters we have been having the last 3-4 years but the San's have been suffering a bit. Ive lost several from the rain. They just began to rot out. Oh and the leaf damage on the Agave's pictured is mainly weather damage mostly from when it got extremely hot outside and I hadn't gone out there to water them just cuz the location they were at was a pain to get to and covered in weeds.

Curious if you got anything I've been looking for. Wouldn't mind seeing the plants you sell at your job.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Nah I havent use them in any of the traditional pre-columbian ways. I know they got alot of fibers in there leaves which would make for good paper but not gonna do that either and the thorns as a sewing needle is pretty smart but I let them grow as they wish. I could imagine the thorns used as arrow heads as well. They are super sharp and pierce the flesh very easily. I know cuz I have been stabbed countless times.

Some think they may actually be poisonous. I wonder if they really are cuz when you get a thorn from say a prickly pear in you it hurts going in but doesnt really get irritated. When stabbed by allows its like getting stabbed by the point of a knife no irritation. Agave's on the other hand when it stabs you it hurts then it gets irritated and begins to make you itch where the injury occured. This has been true with every agave I own. I own alot of them and they have all stabbed me at least once.

I like Agave's cuz there are so many different kinds and various colors but they do tend to get huge. And by huge I dont mean a 2-3 foot wide plant. I mean they get like 6 feet wide or more and 6-8ft tall. I took a picture of my sister infront of a Agave and its over twice her height and she is 5' 6". It was more then twice my height in shoes which makes me 6'. Some just get rediculously big like the one I took a picture of. I believe I actually own that species of Agave but it's tiny and I grew it from seed.

Im getting more into aloe's, sansevieria's, echeveria's but still want more Agave's. Some of the one's I got max out at 2ft wide so there managable and well some of my aloes get that size too lol. Succulent's are my thing. I tried my hand with tropical's but they died and houseplants but they died and with CP's but they died and with Aquatics and they did ok for awhile then died lol. Succulent's treat me well except when there stabbing me lol.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Pretty cool! I'm definitely liking the 'Kissho Kan'.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
So do I lol. One of my favorites suprisingly is my Agave difformis. Not sure why. I got that one for free from an ebayer. Flirting can get you free stuff lol.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Very nice, dude! They all look great. I really like the blue glow agave. Also, since it struck me while I was reading the names:

kirk-yelling-khan.jpg

kirk-yelling-khan.jpg

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Hey I've been to that site before. Was on it last night in fact. There isn't much variety locally as far a succulents go so most of my plants are from out of state got one or two that are out of country. We only got the common varieties here like Agave americana and Agave attenuata. There are some Echeveria's on the site that I plan on buying soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store