Squirrel Gardens & Veggie Problems... oh wait, reverse that LOL

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Hi! :)

Any of ya'll with veggie gardens have squirrel problems?

We are completely overrun with :swear:squirrels. They even eat the plant pots and garbage can!
They aren't afraid of us anymore either - which is a little scary... (ever seen 'the birds'? think, 'when squirrels attack'. dun dun dun! )

Last year I started getting back into the veggie thing and had a tomato plant next to the pond contanier.
The squirrels left that alone, surprisingly, but ate the parsley that was the only herb to sprout in the herb pot.

Have other squirrel problem people noticed they leave tomatoes alone, or was this just some dumb luck?

Are there other veggies they leave alone?

I am hoping to also have this year, peas, some other species of tomatoes, zuchini, yellow squash, spinach, lettuce, stawberries, and broccoli.

I know they eat strawberries and parsley, any others you've had they definitely go for?
(so I know they need to be caged or something.)

Just curious about this, thanks! :)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I've found that they learn to ignore just about anything I grow within range of a scoped air rifle.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Where did you get your squirrel seeds?

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Where did you get your squirrel seeds?
the Easter bunny left them out back. ;)

I thought they were bunny beans and planted them... doh!

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Not how I would describe the taste of squirrel, but they're not bad!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
Depending on where you live, get a barn cat. Once you "home" them, they don't venture far. Ours would leave squirrels and chipmunks in various stages of dismemberment on a daily basis when the hunting was good.

We had three at one point. One wasn't much of mouser, but the other two were relentless. I live within a few hundred feet of a state forest and didn't see a squirrel or chipmunk for the better part of 8 or 9 years. That's pretty remarkable if you think about it. The flip side of that was we had to put away the bird feeders. I did say they were relentless. The last one of them is getting up in years and he's earned the right to live the good life now. But the chipmunks are back. There's a family of them living under the shed, and they devoured the squash seedlings I had in the potting shed last spring. And the squirrels are back. He still "tends the garden", but he's not as effective as he used to be.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
As for stuff they avoid: Tomatoes, peppers, onions and garlic. That's all I've found rodents will avoid at any stage. They'll dig up potatoes close to the surface, and pretty much any young growth. Squash seedlings are candy until they mature, but the fruits are fair game. Forget about strawberries.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
I have a Schnauzer, he killed 7 squirrels one year that I know of.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store