Pipefish in a reef?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I'm thinking about adding a couple of dragonface pipefish in my tank. The tank has lots of rock work so it wouldn't have a problem moving around and finding hiding places. My concern is feeding. I've never had pipefish before but I'm willing to give it a shot.

anyone successfully keep pipefish in their reeftank?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I haven't had one in a reef system personally, but a friend of mine has had one for years in his--he also has lots of corals that enjoy higher flow rates, including high-end Acropora, etc. One thing I noticed about his tank is that he has ample amounts of live rock, which rather than necessarily providing food, allows for areas with slower water motion. They tolerate higher flow very well, but need areas with less at some point in time. His eats cyclopeeze and smaller mysids, in addition to what pops up naturally.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Dragonfaces should be a mandatory addition in any tank that contains SPS. They're an excellent natural control on Red Bugs.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Thanks for the comments. Ideally I would have preferred a pipefish with a littl emore color, but I have heard that dragon faces can handle a little more water movement and they eat redbugs.

I don't have a wrasse, blennie, or dragonette in the tank so there must be quite a bit of pods in there. Let's just hope it will eventually eat frozen foods!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store