Fish have WHITE EYE???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 11, 2003
Arkansas
Visit site
WE NEED HELP....

In our 30 gallon tank we noticed that one plecostamous and a clown loach had white eyes...looked terrible. We thought the Angel fish might have pecked at them, but the Mrs. noticed that one of the Angel fish has a white eye too.......

Is this a disease anyone knows about?? Or just over aggressive fish??

please help!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
My guess is it's a bacterial infection. It would help a lot if you could post a picture of the fish, as well as your tank specs, test results and maintenance schedule - this will give a much fuller picture of what's going on so that people can help.
In the meantime, I suggest a large water change - cleaner water helps in any situation.
You could also try checking online, there are a lot of good sites out there that can help ID diseases and suggest treatments. Fishyfarmacy.com is a good place to start, but if you don't have luck there just try Googling freshwater fish disease symptoms.
[edit] I see you have a picture up - unfortunately, I can't identify what's happening, maybe someone with more experience can tell what's wrong [/edit]

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
It would be ideal to do a 40-50% water change every other day....go to the LFS and get some Maracyn or other medicine for pop/cloudy eye.....its a bacteria and if you treat it quick enough you can cure it......if not you're gonna have to put the fish down so be quick about it!!

biogirl361

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Michigan
my fish has white eyes too, i have treated him with maracyn plus for the time specified on the bottle and then did a water change. no noticeable improvement. this stinks!
also, my white eye is not caused by overstocking b/c my tank is simply not overstocked and i water change 35-40% every other week. any other ideas what could be ailing our fish?

SuperD

Does anyone have the time?
Sep 12, 2004
Gulfport, MS
Cloudy eyes is a fungal infection. Check to see if there are any other ailments on any of your fish, fungal infections are always secondary infections. I recomend using either Melafix of Maroxy. Maracyn won't do any good with cloudy eye.

good luck

biogirl361

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Michigan
i just tested my water and the quality is good... my fish has no other infections that i can tell of, except that he doesn't eat well, but i figure that is because of the white eye since it started a week or so after the white eye. there are so many different medications that claim to cure popeye/various fungal and bacterial infections...and through all of the diseases my fish have had i have never seen a medication cure them... i just don't know what to do anymore :(

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
cloudy eye is often a result of bad water quality, infrequent water changes, something in the water needs to be addressed. Water changes are really the best you can do for it as meds never seemed to work for any fish I had to help treat for this same thing and I've never heard of anyone having successful results from using meds for it.
If you have just started with water changes after going a while of not doing this, that can also cause the coudy eye...... then I would start with small changes every day or so and work your way up.
try this: http://www.2cah.com/pandora/Disease.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store