Aqueon Modular LED

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I love the Aqueon Modular LED light fixture on my planted 29g so much that I bought one for my 24g bow front. The 1 bulb the unit comes with is bright but I bought a second "Day" bulb for my low light planted tank. The fixture holds up to 3 bulbs and they fit snugly. There's a "Day", Colormax, and Blue to mix and match which allows you to customize it to fit your lighting needs.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
There is a new BeautyMax light coming out for the Aqueon Modulars soon. Really brings out the fish colors but you need to use it by itself or at least a 2-1 ratio of it to the day white to get full effect.

White light counters out the color enhancing effect.

kahunacohen

AC Members
Jan 22, 2014
Hi I have the Aqueon modular LED fixture with two bulbs. I bought a second when I bought the fixture. It allows 3. I have some Java Ferns and a few other plants. Not sure what they are. Maybe you can help me figure out what they are...

Do you think I need 3 lights? I don;t see much about LEDs in the books I read but that maybe because they are fairly new, no?

Here are the pics. Sorry they are upside down, I am not sure why they are so when I insert them, they weren't taken upside down:

photo 2 (1).JPGphoto 1 (1).JPG

photo 2 (1).JPG photo 1 (1).JPG

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
Real Name
Jason
1st of all, I bought this fixture because I liked the flexibility of it. I used it for my planted tank as an experiment and am very pleased with the results. I also have 2 bulbs and questioned a third but with low light plants you don't need it. As for what kind of plants those are, I'm no expert but someone will identify them for you. BTW, here's a pic of my tank:

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Kahunacohen- the smaller grass like plant is microsword (Lilaeopsis sp.) and the other plant is an Amazon sword (Echinodorus sp.).

You are going to want additional light for both plants. Microsword is a fairly difficult plant to grow without high light and CO2. I don't think it will do well for you. A good alternative would be pygmy chain sword which is much hardier. The Amazon sword will do better with higher lighting.

Andy

kahunacohen

AC Members
Jan 22, 2014
Yes I figured that out. So my choice is getting a different light setup. I don't think even adding another LED strip will do the trick. Probably the best bet for a beginner is to make this tank a low-light tank. So the Java Ferns stay, but the others should find a new home. Does this sound reasonable? jasonfishaddict: That tank looks fantastic. Can you identify each plant for me?

Thanks!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Background: Bacopa caroliniana
Mid-ground & Foreground; Amazon Swords, Anubias, Java Ferns, and Cryptocoryne sp.
It's a 29g with 2 "Day" bulbs. Like I said, this was an experiment; I had to prove that this fixture will grow plants.

Yay! I have found another member with a 29 gall, planted, Aqueon LED set up. My tank is also proof that these LED's grow plants. I use two "day" and one "colormax" bulbs, so a total of 3 strips. My plants have new growth all the time, even the slow growers, like anubias nana and cryptocoryn. I do use flourish excel for a bit of c02 but the lights work great. I even have had concern that maybe the 3 lights are a bit much due to some beard HPIM2941.JPGalgae and diatoms. In any case, even with that, the plants grow well.

You have an awesome planted tank. Your plants all look healthy with nice colors. Here's a photo of mine. I suck with the camera, but you will get the idea.

HPIM2941.JPG

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
Real Name
Jason
Thanks. I ordered a "Day" bulb when I ordered the fixture. I didn't think 1 would be enough and really didn't know anything about the Colormax bulb. 2 work well and dosing ferts help. My tank is now overgrown and I'm transferring some of them to my 75g. Good to hear from you. I was beginning to think I was the only one with this LED fixture. It is very good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store