Bumblebee catfish with neons?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I was wondering if 10 south american bumblebee catfish could live in a 29 gallon densely planted with 20 neons. I hear that they can eat small fish but I'm not sure if neons could be food for them. I am thinking that the densely planted could help but I'm just not sure if they would be safe to put together.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Ok I have changed my mind a bit. The catfish were gonna eat them no matter what. I am thinking about changing the stocking plan in some of my other tanks to squeeze them in.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Do you think that bumblebee catfish (the small kind) can live with red eye tetras?

Catfisharebest

AC Members
Aug 13, 2015
Va
Real Name
Cole
Camera Used
Iphone 5c
They would probably be fine with neons, I have had mine with both small and large neons for over a year. 10 is alot for a 29 gallon, maybe 6 at most. Red eye tetras would work well too.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I have one with my glow lights and Black neons, he hasn't bothered anything in my 20g. While in my 37g, 2 out of 3 been with small tetras and hasn't eaten one for the 5+ years I've had them.

They mostly hide during the day and only come out when there's food in the tank. But I would do about 3-4 of them in a 29, since they do get 3" max. Also lots of hiding space.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Is it a Microglanis Iheringi? If so, it would be fine with Neons. They will only grow to about 3".

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Well I guess I should tell yall what happened. My 29 gallon got a huge crack in the front. So I took it down. That was maybe a month back? Possibly 2 months ago.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Do you know why it cracked, evil? Did you maybe shim the tank instead of the stand?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I don't know why. I wasn't even in the room when it happened.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I don't know why. I wasn't even in the room when it happened.
You wouldn't have to be in there when it happens. A big crack usually from one corner to the opposite corner is likely from too much torsion (twisted frame like one corner higher than the other 3). It doesn't have to be perfectly level - that is only aestetics - but a tank must sit on a flat surface. If it is not flat and filled with water, then little by little it keeps twisting and pushing and pushing. Until the stress is too much and all of a sudden a big ass crack is there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store