led lights for hood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
?? Not sure what you are asking? Your LED light is defective? You need to replace a LED bulb? Youwant to buy a LED hood?

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
If you didn't specifically shop for a hood with replaceable led bulbs, then it is up to your hardware hacking and soldering skills to repair a hood.

What brand and model are you talking about? Your question is about as specific as: what size tires does my car need?

chickie

Registered Member
Nov 14, 2015
If you didn't specifically shop for a hood with replaceable led bulbs, then it is up to your hardware hacking and soldering skills to repair a hood.

What brand and model are you talking about? Your question is about as specific as: what size tires does my car need?
You don't have to be rude I'm disabled so unable to fix. Besides the bulbs blue as far as I can tell. It's a topfin led lights for a R04075/W 5 strand.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
You don't have to be rude I'm disabled so unable to fix. Besides the bulbs blue as far as I can tell. It's a topfin led lights for a R04075/W 5 strand.
I am sorry if I appeared rude, that was not my intention at all. With most things electronics it is a simple matter of convenience. If you buy cheap, then you get cheap. Usually the cost of repair (time and money invested - parts and labor if you need someone else to do it) gets very expensive the cheaper the item is to begin with compared to simple throw in trash and buy new.

What you have is a black plastic hood that covers the water of the fishtank with buildin led lights? And it came as a complete kit - fishtank, filter, plastic hood with lights? Then unfortunately you are out of luck short of buying a complete new hood with lights. Petsmart will happily sell you that - at a relatively high price.

In the long run it is better to have your lid of the fishtank (to prevent fish from jumping out, less evaporation, help keep foreign objects out of the tank) seperate from the lights. It is a judgement call as it would be more expensive to get glass lids and a new lightbar on top. Down the road you will be glad when either your light goes out again or you wish to upgrade to a better lighting or simply ADD additional light. Most any aftermarket light will do if you have glass lids.

Another option: retrofitting a different light into the existing hood. That is only a viable option if you are willing and capable of tinkering. This is probably the cheapest way, but you will need some DIY knowledge and skill.

I personally try to go as cheap as I can considering follow up costs as well. Best bang for your buck in LED fixtures is probably hands down Beamswork. Cheap and no frills, but still reasonably reliable. Next step up is Finnex - they make some really nice lights with more features (compared to Beamswork). Price a bit more expensive, but still quite low compared to "real" brand name lights. One big advantage of Beamswork is size - they do make 5 and 6 foot long led lights while Finnex only goes to 4 feet. Disadvantage of both Beamswork and Finnex is that you have to order them online. I am very happy myself and had no problems with Beamswork, Finnex, Fluval, and Current USA led lights.

For glass tops - best to have a hinged top that has a strip of plastic in back so you can cut out exactly where a filter or cord would stick out of the tank. Brand really doesn't matter as long as it fits. If in doubt get the ones from the maker of the fishtank. My choice for glass tops is Deep Blue - yes, on the expensive side, but so cool with clear hinges to let more light in (most other brands use black hinges).

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Try to email Petsmart or TopFin for a replacement strand of LEDs. Did they go out one by one or all at once? All at once is probably the power supply.

I've got a TopFin LED hood for 20L/29/37s. Currently sitting with my spare parts, but I never had a problem with it.

chickie

Registered Member
Nov 14, 2015
I am sorry if I appeared rude, that was not my intention at all. With most things electronics it is a simple matter of convenience. If you buy cheap, then you get cheap. Usually the cost of repair (time and money invested - parts and labor if you need someone else to do it) gets very expensive the cheaper the item is to begin with compared to simple throw in trash and buy new.

What you have is a black plastic hood that covers the water of the fishtank with buildin led lights? And it came as a complete kit - fishtank, filter, plastic hood with lights? Then unfortunately you are out of luck short of buying a complete new hood with lights. Petsmart will happily sell you that - at a relatively high price.

In the long run it is better to have your lid of the fishtank (to prevent fish from jumping out, less evaporation, help keep foreign objects out of the tank) seperate from the lights. It is a judgement call as it would be more expensive to get glass lids and a new lightbar on top. Down the road you will be glad when either your light goes out again or you wish to upgrade to a better lighting or simply ADD additional light. Most any aftermarket light will do if you have glass lids.

Another option: retrofitting a different light into the existing hood. That is only a viable option if you are willing and capable of tinkering. This is probably the cheapest way, but you will need some DIY knowledge and skill.

I personally try to go as cheap as I can considering follow up costs as well. Best bang for your buck in LED fixtures is probably hands down Beamswork. Cheap and no frills, but still reasonably reliable. Next step up is Finnex - they make some really nice lights with more features (compared to Beamswork). Price a bit more expensive, but still quite low compared to "real" brand name lights. One big advantage of Beamswork is size - they do make 5 and 6 foot long led lights while Finnex only goes to 4 feet. Disadvantage of both Beamswork and Finnex is that you have to order them online. I am very happy myself and had no problems with Beamswork, Finnex, Fluval, and Current USA led lights.

For glass tops - best to have a hinged top that has a strip of plastic in back so you can cut out exactly where a filter or cord would stick out of the tank. Brand really doesn't matter as long as it fits. If in doubt get the ones from the maker of the fishtank. My choice for glass tops is Deep Blue - yes, on the expensive side, but so cool with clear hinges to let more light in (most other brands use black hinges).
Yeah my hubby bought me the set up from PET smart but the lights snap in cause I put it together and took them out when they stopped working so I could leave the hood on so no issue's. I do have a company number to call for replacement parts I was just trying to check around and price them. I hate petsmart sometimes but their the closes otherwise I go on line. Thank you so much for your help I appreciate it. If you can you can come fix it for me. Lol again thanks I may just get a new and different hood I've had my regular ones for years no issues this one it dies in a year. Thanks

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The lights may have a warranty. Cheack and see if they can replace for free?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store