Big Box, "Pet Whatever," Bettas worst I've seen yet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
The Bettas both males and females in the local "Pet WhatEver," store, the one that ends with a -T- are just pathetic they are washed out, lying on the bottom of the cups and have enough meds in the water to cure Ebola! One of the store employees told a customer the blue stuff was to make them look prettier! Yikes!

Reactions: TBear

Lady JinglyJones

AC Members
Sep 30, 2015
Coast of Coromandel
Real Name
Emily
Camera Used
Ma Galaxy S4.
:(

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, I really hate seeing that too. What I have noticed is that the situation is similar even in lfs, at least near me. Usually a little better, but still tight and not usually super healthy. I think there must be a few suppliers that sell betta to all the fish stores, and they don't have great stock. I suppose it's hard to expect them to have a full tank, but at lfs I would like to see at least a gallon, even if it's just an old milk jug.

That all said, does anyone have any recommendations for where to get a healthy betta? I'm not really looking for one, but I'm just sort of curious. I know a breeder will probably have the healthiest stock, but I don't really know of any. Also, I wouldn't want a super fancy/expensive one necessarily. The "style" they have at the stores are fine, they are just not well cared for. Perhaps ask a breeder for some "extra" fry that aren't fancy enough to breed or sell at high prices?

Brian

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
That chain is only gonna get worse. . . New owners who completely got rid of the manager position that was designated for animal care. Change in all policies and larger number of critters coming in. They're moving to cheaper distributors. . . It's going to get really bad

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
Being winter it's hard to get breeder bettas but aquabid is a fairly good place. Occasionally a scam has been reported by overseas sellers and right now there aren't many US sellers listing for shipping. Ebay also allows fish and hoobly is hit or miss depending on your area. There are several facebook groups I joined looking for local sellers but so many are from overseas and you have to deal with importation. You gotta wonder what all the US breeders are doing with their stock if everyone just keeps importing new lines to breed.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Being winter it's hard to get breeder bettas but aquabid is a fairly good place. Occasionally a scam has been reported by overseas sellers and right now there aren't many US sellers listing for shipping. Ebay also allows fish and hoobly is hit or miss depending on your area. There are several facebook groups I joined looking for local sellers but so many are from overseas and you have to deal with importation. You gotta wonder what all the US breeders are doing with their stock if everyone just keeps importing new lines to breed.
Cool, thanks. I was mostly just curious where I could get a betta if I had an interest in one.

Thanks,
Brian

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You can find some gems at big box-o-pets too, just have to look around.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I have seen some great Betta fish from Kaz's Tropical in Fresno (I know the store has changed hands and I don't know if Richard is still helping the new owners out....) as well as Ocean Aquarium in San Francisco. Other than overseas, I don't know where they got their fish from. On a somewhat related note, I work with a guy whose father raised Betta's for fighting/side job in Thailand before his family came to the U.S. Interesting stories..

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I'd stick with breeders and you can find them on Aquabid. I breed a lot of them and sell some and in summer give a lot away for the cost of shipping. In winter the shipping cost goes up because I have to use a larger box and heat pack.

HrdWodFlor

Tiger Dog is on the lookout!
Oct 7, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
I agree with FreshyFresh, Big box do sometimes have nice ones. I got my first fish (a Betta) in five years at one the other day. He is surprisingly handsome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store