Stocking 60 gallon cichlids tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alannahmay

AC Members
Jan 4, 2016
Needing recommendations stocking a 60 gallon tank. Definitely wanting electric yellow labs, and demasonii. Any other recommendations for other cichlids and stocking numbers ? Thanks.

image.jpg

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'd get some synodontis petracola. Very interesting little catfish. Red Empress would look good.

Mark

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
I just got some Yellow Labs myself, I also got some Rusty cichlids and they are cool as well

with the demansoni they are very aggressive towards other demansoni so it is recommended to have no less than 12 preferably more

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
also if you are going to go with Mbuna cichlids you need to put alot of rock into the tank

as far as stocking questions and a general idea as to how many fish you can get is http://aqadvisor.com/

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Have you kept African cichlids before? Like said, if you don't mind constant chaos, mayhem and carnage, it's all good! I'd gear your stocking towards what you can support in terms of maintenance. Are you able to easily do 50% or more weekly water changes?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Have you kept African cichlids before? Like said, if you don't mind constant chaos, mayhem and carnage, it's all good! I'd gear your stocking towards what you can support in terms of maintenance. Are you able to easily do 50% or more weekly water changes?

Alannahmay

AC Members
Jan 4, 2016
When I was younger our family had a cichlid tank. And since then Ive been wanting to have one, I'm definitely able to maintain the tank with regular water changes, but I'm having a hard time finding the ratios of how many demasonii to how many electric yellow labs. I know for cichlids you have to keep them over stocked to keep the agression lower. I tried using that websit before but I don't think im doing IT quite right. Haha, if anyone can help me out that would be awesome. I've done a fair bit of research in regards to both.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I don't think there's any "set in stone" number of fish per tank size. It's going to depend on the mix and the specific fish. Like you say, it's a lot of them, plus a lot of rock caves, nooks and crannies for them to claim and squabble over.

I kept a group of "mixed African cichlids" in a 20L back in the 1980s. I wasn't very successful back them. Knew nothing about a proper nitrogen cycle, water changes, etc.. I thought a good HOB filter and heater was all that was needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store