Stocking Emerald Brochis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
So I started a 39 gallon and after cycling it, I put in 3 Emerald Brochis. I'm trying to decide if I should get more. I know 3 is a small shoal but they do get large so 3x 3" fish is a lot but 6 may take up too much off the footprint when there all trying to settle after swimming together. What do you guys think? Should I maybe add more to get 4-5 or just keep it at 3?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would maybe add one more. Ideally, 6+ is better, but your tank is too small.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Is 5 too many? I really want 6 but I feel with limited room on the ground because of the plants they may be crowded. Even though there is only 3 of them sofar they are all healthy and active although they can be a bit skittish.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You can really have 6, but the BIO load and limited floor space would not be ideal for the fish.

corygirl50

AC Members
Oct 3, 2015
Sorry to hijack the thread- but from what I gather from this I have too many catfish?

My 16 gal tank is stocked with:
4 peppered corys
2 jullis
1 albino bristlenose
1 female betta

16 gal 30" long by 8" deep by 17" tall. Is this too many and not good? My understanding is my stock all remain pretty small that is why I got them.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Both your corys will get to a maximum of 2.5 inches, and that's a big cory haha. While Brochis get to a max of 3 inches depending on the variety. So there a little bit more robust. As far as your number goes it may be on the heavy side, that's 6 corys all could potentially reach 2.5 inches that's 15 inches of fish. Just think when they get bigger there all going to have to sit around sometime and all the floor space will be taken up. Plus the pleco will also be taking up more floor space. I decided I think I'm going to go with 5 Brochis for my tank. I really want 6 but I think in terms of bioload and floor space I think 5 is a better number.

Reactions: corygirl50

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
CoryG, that is a very small tank, but it is 30" long which helps (but only 8" deep). If you do not have any rock that cut the tank in half, then your 6 cats MAYBE OK. The cats need that floor space.

corygirl50

AC Members
Oct 3, 2015
Two small based tall rocks in corners, plants, helmet and dwood. I recently got a 29 gal 30"x12"x18 off craiglist. Sanitized last week and I will begin the cycle on it (with media from current) and also to double check for leaks... So they will have a bigger place soon!

Tanks are like tatoos when you get one you want to keep getting more. Lol.

Next one will be 50... thank you for your thoughts on the matter...

Have fun with the bronchi's -gotta love the bottom feeders.

Reactions: Belltrain

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
That's awsome your gunna upgrade. Then you get to re-aquascape, fun times. Oh and double...triple check that it won't leak haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store