Sexing help? Angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
Trying to sex these two Angels, they are displaying "pairing" habits, however I'm not sure13342358_1109932572406457_579800383_n.jpg 13390862_1092496607440369_528230066_n.jpg

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
You will only know when you directly see one lay an egg that it is a female. And just because the two are buddies doesn't mean that the other one is male. Two females have been known to go through the motions together.

The difference between the sexes in anglefish is usually kept internal and it is possible to look up their vent and tell. But that can be stressful on the fish, and takes knowledge I don't have to know what to look for.

Just keep an eye on them for possible aggression and see what you can learn by observation.

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
You will only know when you directly see one lay an egg that it is a female. And just because the two are buddies doesn't mean that the other one is male. Two females have been known to go through the motions together.

The difference between the sexes in anglefish is usually kept internal and it is possible to look up their vent and tell. But that can be stressful on the fish, and takes knowledge I don't have to know what to look for.

Just keep an eye on them for possible aggression and see what you can learn by observation.
Thanks! I have read somewhere, that you can tell sexes by the shape below their mouth. I couldn't tell the difference. Was trying to figure out ASAP because they are in a community tank, and the fry absolutely would not survive(if they made it that far). So trying to make plans, if I needed to. But will wait and see!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Nope that's all pulling at straws, angelfish are only outwardly sexually differentiated by their ovipositors, all other visual clues are individual variations that are shared by both sexes. You might have two angelfish paired that look different, but you could also obtain a pair with the visual differences swapped so that the "male" look is on the female.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I bred angels many years ago and the only way to tell is just before they lay eggs and the breeding tube comes out.
SnakeIce is correct. I have seen 2 females lay eggs together with no male (of course the eggs never hatched).

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
These "appeared" today. Were not here yesterday. Too bad they wont make it :mad: ***EDIT*** They wont make it because they are in my 125 community. Looks like I need to start looking for a 29-50gal breeder.13414071_1094157410607622_1084142126_n.jpg

Last edited:

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Depends on the quality of the parents, if they have their behaviors intact you will get free swimmers because the parents take care of any threats. If they were breed with no consideration for keeping behaviors intact in the line you are right they won't survive. But then neither would any of their offspring survive in the wild if that were the case.

Breeding quality Angelfish with good fecundity, not over aggressive, and proper parenting skills is work. If you can though it is rewarding and less stressful because the parents do their job and do it well.

PkeD

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Ohio
Real Name
Aaron
Depends on the quality of the parents, if they have their behaviors intact you will get free swimmers because the parents take care of any threats. If they were breed with no consideration for keeping behaviors intact in the line you are right they won't survive. But then neither would any of their offspring survive in the wild if that were the case.

Breeding quality Angelfish with good fecundity, not over aggressive, and proper parenting skills is work. If you can though it is rewarding and less stressful because the parents do their job and do it well.
Well the eggs didn't last long, a few hours after I posted this, looked back and they were all gone. Maybe from first batch of layed eggs? We've had the parents since they were nickle sized.

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
It's possible they are both female, and so the eggs weren't fertilized. They will pick out any dead or unfertilized eggs, so that they don't rot and cause problems for the others. If they are both female, none of the eggs would have been fertilized.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store