Any eel like fish I could keep?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zdei

AC Members
Jun 16, 2016
So I'd like to keep either some Species of birchir, spiny, or rope fish. Not sure as to what would work best in my tank here's a list of stock

3 appisto caucatoides male
1 plecco

Anubias
Java fern
Crypts
Micro swords
Water wisteria
Natural aquarium gravel

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Personally, I think khuli loaches are really cool for that shape. A bit small, but they are fun to watch. I don't know much about the species you mentioned, so I can't offer any input on those.

Brian

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Bichirs are highly predatory, and anything under 4 inches is not recommended with them. A ropefish might be ok, but I've never kept one with smaller fish.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
In my experience ropefish are also fairly predatory.
Also, tank size is going to be just as important as tank mates. I'm hesitant to recommend anything without knowing the size of your tank.
Edit: just saw the tank size, so disregard the last sentence.

Your tank size is appropriate for P. senagalus, but I wouldn't recommend them with the current stock. As juveniles, they'll be fine, but when they grow they're likely to try and eat those fish.
The kuhli loaches recommended by Brian, are actually a good option as they aren't predatory and you have plenty of room for a group of 6 or more. Your tank is also large enough for something like horsefaced loaches, which are kind of oblong like the kuhli but larger.

Zdei

AC Members
Jun 16, 2016
Yes those kuhli loaches look awesome and perfect size too. I also noticed the dojo loach as well

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Khulis won't pester your other fish, and they can be very entertaining. Kept in a large group, they are very active. They do eat small snails, I found this out when I noticed a sharp decline in the ramshorn population in my sister's community tank, and then noticed the khuli loaches scavenging baby snail shells.

Horsefaced loaches do like to bury themselves in the substrate, with only their nose sticking out. From what I remember, they also like to be kept in groups.

Personally, I'd avoid the bichir with your other fish. I just wouldn't trust one once it got to about 6 inches, and they can grow fast. They are voracious and very adept predators. (I have 2 Sengal bichirs in a 180g.)

The Dave

AC Members
Jul 26, 2016
western Massachusetts
www.youtube.com
Real Name
David Creque
So I'd like to keep either some Species of birchir, spiny, or rope fish. Not sure as to what would work best in my tank here's a list of stock

3 appisto caucatoides male
1 plecco

Anubias
Java fern
Crypts
Micro swords
Water wisteria
Natural aquarium gravel
Yeah, Bichirs will clear out the other fish fairly quickly, and the Pleco may actually latch onto the Bichir and suck on his scales causing a problem. But Bichirs are awesome check out mine.

GuppyKeeper32

AC Members
Aug 5, 2016
Maybe a peacock eel? I've kept them in warmer water, but they are a bit finicky. They are not predatory at all, so they will be fine in a community tank. Good luck with your choice! PS, made a mistake and bought a bichir once, chomped one of my tetras in half within my first fifteen minutes, so steer clear of them if you want to keep other fish with them.

Gk

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store