Wondering, whats the relationship: AC & MFK ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Aquariacentral used to be a stand alone general aquarium forum. It is now owned by the same guy that owns MFK. That about sums it up.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
They are sister sites. MFK tends to specialize in monster fish (master of monster trade) and AC is more rounded out (jack of all trades, master of none).

Reactions: MotionInSilver

TigerBarbs.com

Registered Member
May 15, 2017
Brampton, Ontario
www.fishez.ca
Real Name
Michael
Are there any rules between the two forums, say for example, posting the same post on both forums? or does a post on one automatically appear on the other? I'm still not sure how to know which domain to post on. If I have a general question about health, for example, which one should I go to?

Michael

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Are there any rules between the two forums, say for example, posting the same post on both forums? or does a post on one automatically appear on the other? I'm still not sure how to know which domain to post on. If I have a general question about health, for example, which one should I go to?

Michael
You can make the same post on both forums if you like, but you do have to go to MFK and make a profile, as they don't carry over between the two. The sites are linked, but not in the sense that you can access both by accessing one.

If you have a general question about health, you are likely to find help on both sites. But if you have a specific question about monster fish, then you are likely to get more advice on MFK, but some people here do have experience with large fish. I would say the main thing is that if you want help with health you either post in the general freshwater, or the health section.

If you have a question about a specific monster species (i.e. gar, large cats, snakeheads etc) then its best to post in the subforum for that species on MFK as you will likely get more traffic on your post. But if you have a general stocking question, you could post in either. If you have a question about smaller schooling fish, I would say AC is better, but you will still get advice on MFK.

I have a profile on both sites, but haven't visited MFK in years. I like the atmosphere here better. Just a personal opinion.

TigerBarbs.com

Registered Member
May 15, 2017
Brampton, Ontario
www.fishez.ca
Real Name
Michael
Thank you very much. I appreciate the explanation.

You can make the same post on both forums if you like, but you do have to go to MFK and make a profile, as they don't carry over between the two. The sites are linked, but not in the sense that you can access both by accessing one.

If you have a general question about health, you are likely to find help on both sites. But if you have a specific question about monster fish, then you are likely to get more advice on MFK, but some people here do have experience with large fish. I would say the main thing is that if you want help with health you either post in the general freshwater, or the health section.

If you have a question about a specific monster species (i.e. gar, large cats, snakeheads etc) then its best to post in the subforum for that species on MFK as you will likely get more traffic on your post. But if you have a general stocking question, you could post in either. If you have a question about smaller schooling fish, I would say AC is better, but you will still get advice on MFK.

I have a profile on both sites, but haven't visited MFK in years. I like the atmosphere here better. Just a personal opinion.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I wondered about this, too. I have to say I have concerns about keeping 'monster'fish, personally I find it depressing to see large(r) fish in tanks that are obviously too small, but can you imagine what it is like for the fish itself? It is like keeping a cat or rabbit in a small cage, but with no way of letting them out.
I do want to urge monsterfish keepers to apply the same standards for tank sizes and volumes as we do for small fish.

Strongarm

AC Members
Jan 13, 2021
Far West Texas
Real Name
Wayne
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy 7+
Interesting that I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make them drink. I talk a good game, but I have to ask myself, "Have I ever kept a fish in a tank too small for him?" After that, I tell myself to go back the Beginners thread for remedial training....

The Masked Shadow

AC Members
Feb 17, 2021
I just joined as well from mfk. Cool information! I’m also on 2 other aquarium sites tropical fish forums and reef 2 reef

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store