Cory rolled over on me and died

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishtankdude

AC Members
Feb 14, 2016
So last night while i was watching my Cory turned on its side and started floating. My tank is a 20 gallon and when I tested last night after he started floating I got 7.4ph ammonia nitrate and nitrite were all 0. My aquarium is freshwater and has been set up for a year and a half. I have an angelfish, a dwarf gourami, 3 neon tetra, 5 tiger barbs, and 3 Corys until last night. The tank temp is ~75 degrees Fahrenheit. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
Have you added any ferts lately

Fishtankdude

AC Members
Feb 14, 2016
No not in the past one or two weeks. I qt'ed the tiger barb and things aren't looking good for my angel. The tiger barb has little control of his orientation or direction of motion. I will continue to qt any fish showing symptoms.

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
I would increase water change schedule and watch for improvement

Fishtankdude

AC Members
Feb 14, 2016
Ok, tomorrow I will do a 20% water change. I might be able to get a general propose antibiotic and will dose the qt and main. Would you suggest anything else?

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
It well could just be the ammonia

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I wouldn't add an antibiotic, not if you don't know what you are dealing with. It could just result in more stress. Furthermore, the symptoms you describe of the barb are common with ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

I'm concerned as to why your ammonia spiked so suddenly and also why your nitrates are zero. I realize your tank is planted, but for a 20 gallon its slightly heavily stocked. Unless you just did a massive water change, you should have some nitrates in there. . .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store