Question about Loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

firefly12399

AC Members
Mar 27, 2013
Authmal; 50 gallon, with a school of 8 neon tetras, about 12 ghost shrimp, and about 8 breeding mollies.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Alos I think Dojos are colder water fish. More in line for Goldfish tanks.

Tom Keenan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2016
I too am getting ready to add a loach or two to my 30 gal. tank. My primary target is the hundreds of piggy back snails that are destroying my beautiful plants. I too am populating my tank with shrimp, probaby some cardinal tetras, and not sure what else. I have a couple of nerite snails too who do an amazing cleaning job (along with the shrimp). I do worry about them with the loach.. but honestly you should see my plants now.
What kind of loach would be best for such duty (and should I get two or three?). Thanks one and all.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, pretty much any loach that will eat snails will also eat shrimp...at least the tiny ones. IMO loaches are > than either. Maybe sidthimunki (dwarf chain) loaches would be your best bet for a smaller tank...or "some" kuhlis may eat a few snails & only a very few shrimplets... but no guarantees.

You can help with both kinds of loaches by crushing some snails to help them get the idea of snails as food. Pond & ramshorns are pretty easy to crush...trumpets snails are much more difficult (ie: impossible)!

Reactions: Tom Keenan

Tom Keenan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2016
Well, pretty much any loach that will eat snails will also eat shrimp...at least the tiny ones. IMO loaches are > than either. Maybe sidthimunki (dwarf chain) loaches would be your best bet for a smaller tank...or "some" kuhlis may eat a few snails & only a very few shrimplets... but no guarantees.

You can help with both kinds of loaches by crushing some snails to help them get the idea of snails as food. Pond & ramshorns are pretty easy to crush...trumpets snails are much more difficult (ie: impossible)!
So I started with an assassin snail, but he has been completely overwhelmed and fast. I thought of getting a few more assassins but was told that then they would multiply and become the problem (although one source said they would canibalize themselves once rid of pest snails). That would be preferred to maintain shrimp... but since one is inadequate and I'm not sure who to believe on multiples, I turned to loaches as a solution. Another source suggested tiger loaches as the best, and yet another Almora loach or Pakistani loach (Botia almorhae). So much conflicting info out there... sheesh. Thank you fishorama, for weighing in and your comments. I hope I can even find sidthimunki, as I've never heard of or seen them around pet stores. I'll be sure and inquire though.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, really, you need to feed less, remove some snails & eggs each weekly water change...& not expect fish or assassin snails, even my wonderful loaches, to "fix" snail problems. Get loaches because they're awesome, not as an answer to other issues...but that is just 1 of their charms! You might just get hooked!

Tigers & yoyos get way too big & may be way too aggressive for your tank. 6 is considered a loachy minimum for most species.

Tom Keenan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2016
Fishorama, thank you for your constructive observations and advice. I don't feed, as it's only housing plants and some nerites (2). The tank seems way beyond crushing or removing eggs as I can see white egg sacks everywhere, as well as snails. I'm fit to be tied, but I get your advice as to reasons behind purchase of specimens. I'm doing my diligent research as to tank mates and health of each, trust me. Since this is a relatively virgin tank (though plants were set up months ago... yes I'm taking my time and thinking each step through, I can virtually go any direction. Appreciate your attention and feedback and hope it is useful to others who may be new here like myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store