Ammonia in Water and CaribSea Instant Aquarium Sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
I bought CaribSea Instant Aquarium sand which says has beneficial bacteria and that you have to add fish within 24 hours of purchasing it. Using a new Fluval Edge 6 gallon.

The thing is, my tap water is pretty horrible with 1ppm of ammonia. I left the tank running overnight without any fish, and the ammonia went down to 0.50 ppm and I'm beginning to see a little color change in the nitrates, so I'm assuming the water will get fixed in time.

Read the reviews on the sand and it seems to work great but I'm concerned about the ammonia levels in my tap water. How many fish should I stock to start in there, and what kind? I was hoping for neon tetras and some shrimp (have a betta coming in the mail), but I just don't know how much to start.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Maria, is it possible your tap water uses chloramine as opposed to chlorine for a disinfectant? Chloramine can show as ammonia with your test kit.

irmuddled