peat as a substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

catof9

AC Members
Dec 16, 2016
Has anyone used peat moss as a substrate? I saw it mentioned somewhere on the net but didn't have time to pursue it at the time.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm pretty sure you'd have to cap it with something or media bag it to keep it in place.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm pretty sure you'd have to cap it with something or media bag it to keep it in place.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yes, I was planning on useing a mix of 1/2 flourite and 1/2 pea gravel.
I don't think that mixture would be fine enough for capping... personally.

you can have a thin layer under that, but I wouldn't chance too much, If you're looking to alter water params with it, vs for growing plants, it can be used in a filter bag in the filter... If you are looking for plants, maybe try dried sphagnum moss, it's less likely to physically get into the water column.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
From what I've read, peat (or soil) is a mess waiting to happen every time you move plants. Pea gravel is so much bigger than fluorite it will end up on top before very long. Mixing different sized substrates (ie sand & anything) leaves a less than pretty mess. If you really want to try it, at least use the same color. White sand (or pale pea gravel) & dark, even small gravel, looks bad IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store