Beta Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gspille

AC Members
Jan 5, 2008
Illinois
I've never kept a beta in all my 45 yrs of fish keeping, but I was asked a question. A relative of mine has a 50 gal long tank (4 ft) with 6 green corys, 2 bolivian Rams, and 6 denison barbs. He and his wife asked about putting 2 to 4 female beta in their tank. Or just one male. They're finding a lot of mixed views online, as I have also while looking for info. I told them I'd be more worried about having a male in with the Rams I'd suspect issues possibly there. Any expert advice I can give them, please?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think, honestly, that it all depends on the temperament of the Betta in question.

I would, honestly and assuming the tank is well covered, go for a group of one of the more peaceful Betta species, say Betta Smaragdina/Emerald betta, most other types of betta will live peacefully in groups, in community tanks without a problem... But then again I'm not a huge fan of Splendens.

Whatever way you go, a plan B involving another housing option for the fish would be a good thing, just in case

gspille

AC Members
Jan 5, 2008
Illinois
They've had someone tell them to get about 6 females for a 4 ft long tank. I never knew betta got along to have more than one. Until the last few hours that I've been researching helping my cousins.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
There are issues with having a group of female splendens too.. you generally have to put them together at one time and at a young age to ensure that they will get along together... Sometimes it will work putting them together at different times, sometimes it won't if you do everything by the book.

And plan B is always a good thing :)

gspille

AC Members
Jan 5, 2008
Illinois
I told them good luck and have a back up plan. Like I said, I've never kept betta, so I really couldn't help them much.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
you generally have to put them together at one time and at a young age to ensure that they will get along together...
Yes, I agree. If you try to put them in one at a time, the earliest added ones will already have their claims on parts of the tank. I think all Bettas are different in personality. BTW, if you do end up putting in the bettas in one at a time, I recommend switching up the ornaments each time so they won't think they have territories, it will be new for everyone that way.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
One thing you should know about male bettas, if the females are not ready to breed he will chase them and kill them. Ive read where the females have attacked the males. So their behavior is unpredictable when put together. This is just my opinion, but, I feel the fish food manufactures should make some kind of fish prozac in powder form for aggressive fish. Again, just my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store