What is the best substrate for plants ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Crazy Ape

AC Members
Dec 27, 2016
Planted aquariums are not only healthy for your fishes, it also without question creates a better overall environment in your aquarium.

The substrate you use can really make a difference in the way your plants grow and look.

What do you feel is the best brand or combination of materials to use for this purpose. ? I have just always used Eco-Complete, but this may not be the best choice.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Depends on plants and needs...

Organic soil works well... but I wouldn't suggest using it for anyone who has to ask.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What plants do you plan on keeping? I've had simple stuff like swords, water sprite and wisteria go nuts when grown in Caribsea FloraMax substrate, but it's a dusty substrate. Then again, I've had rooted plants do very well in ordinary gravel as well. My latest tank with plants has just a fine grain natural gravel. I have some basic liquid ferts on hand and have used root tabs.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I agree with the above. There is no one substrate that's perfect in every situation. Depends on plants, budget, personal preference, livestock etc. My go to substrate is Oil-Dri cause it's cheap, dark, has always preformed well for me and I keep a lot of crypts. But if I had a tank with little to no rooted plants and say a school of cories I would prefer a uniform black sand (black cause I prefer dark substrates).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store