Native Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chenning

AC Members
Oct 2, 2016
Well we are getting a little testy so please play nice.

I understand the dangers inherent, but would never gamble with nature. The Rusty Crayfish is a good example of a non-native killing off the local species. In Great Britain Clarkii Crayfish have almost forced the natives into extinction. I know for a fact that both types of natives, the killies and sunfish are clean and disease free. I took great pains to clean them out upon arrival.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
One of the reasons native species are illegal to release is to prevent the spread of VHS (Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia). This viral disease can be spread by introducing carriers of the disease from one water body to another. There are many strains of it found throughout the Northern Hemisphere. One strain of particular concern is the freshwater strain found in the Great Lakes region. This strain affects many species and is spreading rapidly. Some strains only affect marine fish or salmonids.

If a fish is infected with this virus it may be a carrier and not show any symptoms. There is no way you can clean it out or even tell if it is infected by looking at it.

This is but one of many reasons why fish should not be released back into the wild or moved from one location to another.

Andy

Reactions: OrionGirl
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store