Cory cat with pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Casey0421

AC Members
Apr 15, 2016
Hello, I currently have a 20gl tank with a small angel and some pristella tetras. It also has 1 pleco thats only about 2 inches long. I have 1 cory cat that I would like to add to the tank, and possibly get more if it works out. My pleco, although I am not sure what type it is, will not get any bigger, but sometimes gets aggressive if I don't feed him right away. By aggressive, I mean chases the angel, but he never catches him so I am not worried. However, I am nervous that if I put the cory in, the pleco will get territorial.

Please let me know. Thank you guys in advance!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You really need to determine why type of pleco you have. If he's chasing the angel, he's not getting enough to eat, or not enough of what he wants to eat. Post a picture, perhaps?

I wouldn't recommend adding a solo cory. It would be stressed out and you wouldn't see the real dynamics. It's difficult to say if the pleco will go after them, since there really aren't many small plecos that display the behavior you've described.

Reactions: fishorama

spottea

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
California
I’v got four corys, which I’ve had for years. I also added two King Tiger plecos, which have had young recently. I haven’t noticed any aggression on the plecos part, and if the corys feel there’s too much movement going on in the tank,they just go and sit in the corner for a while, until things have calmed down. Eg.Feeding time !

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Given we're talking about a 20g tank, I'd reconsider your stocking choice as-is. An angle fish needs more than a 20g (high or long) given they can grow saucer sized.

Like said, corys act more naturally and will be healthier in a group. The larger the better, but again, we're only talking 20g. A 20g long is better than a 20g high in terms of footprint.

Also like mentioned above, you need to know what type of pleco you have. If it's a common, they can grow to over a foot long, need driftwood to rasp on, poop constantly like most plecos and make a big mess.

The other issue is the feeding needs of corys and plecos. They may be competing for some of the same foods.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, after 10 months, I hope the OP has worked out the issues. A 20g is pretty small for almost any pleco, even a BN & a few other fish.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^ Ugh. Gotta remember to check the date so to speak..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store