Dumb male guppie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noicegarry

AC Members
Jan 7, 2017
Basically I got a tank a few weeks ago and waited till only a few days ago to put the fish in. I have 3 Platy fish, 2 guppies, 2 angel fish. My problem is that the male guppie pays almost no attention to the female guppie whatso ever. He occasionally chases the Platys, and even when he's not he's at least around them. I want the guppies to mate and was wondering if there is a reason as to why the guppie will not interact with the female. I have had a few theories one of them being that the female is already pregnant but I am not sure. It has a gravid spot and a slightly large stomach compared to the rest of her Body but I'm really not sure. Another is that the guppie is not old enough yet or that they are still getting used to the tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated

My tank is a 50litres (15 or so gallons)

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
So, as far as live bearers go its best to have your females outnumber your males. Two females per male being the minimum. If you want them to spawn this should be your minimum ratio. Also, after only a few days your fish are likely still too stressed to spawn anyway and are figuring out territories and assessing tank mates. Also, since you didn't say anything about cycling, you may need to wait until your water quality is good enough for them to spawn as well.

Additionally, as soon as that female guppy has her babies the angels will eat them. The platies likely will too, depending on their current size.

Lastly, a 15 gallon tank is not big enough for the angel fish. I would highly suggest returning them if you can, finding them a new home or upgrading your tank size if you can't.

Reactions: fishorama

noicegarry

AC Members
Jan 7, 2017
So, as far as live bearers go its best to have your females outnumber your males. Two females per male being the minimum. If you want them to spawn this should be your minimum ratio. Also, after only a few days your fish are likely still too stressed to spawn anyway and are figuring out territories and assessing tank mates. Also, since you didn't say anything about cycling, you may need to wait until your water quality is good enough for them to spawn as well.

Additionally, as soon as that female guppy has her babies the angels will eat them. The platies likely will too, depending on their current size.

Lastly, a 15 gallon tank is not big enough for the angel fish. I would highly suggest returning them if you can, finding them a new home or upgrading your tank size if you can't.
I plan on upgrading once the angels get bigger seeing as I got them fairly small I have a decent amount of time, and I have read that with hiding spaces there is a chance of fry surviving?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
You'll have a few survive, but not many. Which is good because you'll have (with one female) about 10-15 babies every month or so. You'll have a lot less time than you think with the angels. Just a few months is really all you'll have before they're too big for the tank.

noicegarry

AC Members
Jan 7, 2017
I'll most likely be giving most of the fry away to either anyone who wants them or to my local pet shop. I might keep 1 or 2 depending on how's the fish in the tank is doing. and a few months is good enough time for me to be able to get the funds to upgrade to a larger tank

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome!
Water parameter issues could also be effecting the guppy's behavior. I'm assuming there's no nitrogen cycle established in this tank, and that's a lot of fish assuming that's the situation.

Do you have a means to measure for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in PPM? Doing large water changes often?

Reactions: fishorama

Silverfish97

AC Members
Jan 7, 2017
Once your angelfish have grown your guppies will be in danger. They might be viewed as colorful snacks. When you upgrade, the guppies and angels should be separated.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^^ Could be, but it totally depends on the angel fish. One of mine won't even bother eating the tiny shrimp in the tank with him/her. Another one I have will eat any/all shrimp.

noicegarry

AC Members
Jan 7, 2017
Welcome!
Water parameter issues could also be effecting the guppy's behavior. I'm assuming there's no nitrogen cycle established in this tank, and that's a lot of fish assuming that's the situation.

Do you have a means to measure for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in PPM? Doing large water changes often?
Before I put the tank in I let it sit with water and filter running for about a week and a half without any fish in it, and I plan on buying a master test kit to see for those those things

noicegarry

AC Members
Jan 7, 2017
My angel fish aren't very aggressive and at the size they are currently at I don't see any way of them being able to even be close to fitting a one of the guppies in their mouth, they usually just leave all the other fish alone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store