Dwarf or pearl gourami with tetras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dan89

AC Members
Jan 3, 2017
Hey guys,

I was thinking about inserting Dwarf or Pearl gourami in a tank with tetras (neon or cardinals, still have to decide), corydoras and otocinclus.

Do you see any compatibility issue? Does gouramis get along with tetras? What tetras should I pickup if I put gourami, neon or cardinals?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Depending on what size tank you have. If 55 or bigger, I would have Pearl Gouramis, if 29 or smaller, I would go Dwarf.
I have kept both with Tetras and Barbs, without any issues.

Moleen

AC Members
Aug 7, 2016
MA
Real Name
Kathy
Camera Used
I-Phone6
I have Pearls with Black Phantoms, never had a problem. But some Tetras are known to be fin nippers, stay away from those.

HydroponicFish

AC Members
Nov 6, 2016
I have kept dwarfs with white cloud mountain minnows, and they were fine. I had a three spot with black skirts and SDs, and they were fine. I agree that I would get a bigger gourami for a bigger tank, but a pearl may eat neons, I don't know.
If you are keeping payaras(aka sabertooth tetra)... a Giant, Red tailed Giant, or at least a snakeskin gourami would be in order... ;)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I kept my pearl in a 29g with various tetra, danios, hatchets and corys. IMO, even the biggest jerk of a gourami does OK provided his/her tank mates are smaller and faster. My female pearl was very calm and timid with anything though. Had her in a 55g too until she took a leap at ~3yrs of age and I found her dried solid on the floor behind the tank :(.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store