• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
LOL, Diane, we have Great Lakes rocks too & the Lake Superior are, well, superior!

It often looks better to have a group of the same tetras & as schooling or shoaling fish, they're happier in a group. A single or pair of tetras is kind of sad

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
What are the odds!! Not many people get all the way to Superior, even Michiganders.

Yes, I plan to have the tetras in groups for sure. Albany Aquarium only had 3 glowlight tetras left, but I bought them some friends at Petco. :) I like them but they're not very visible in my current setup (kind of have to look at the tank from across the room); I might move them to a smaller aquarium next to my bed where they're easier to appreciate,,,

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Glowlights can be quite nice, I'm glad you got more. You'll be happy you did & so will they!

I'm a MI native, Lake Michigan was closest back in the day... but nephew's UP wedding, we added to our rock collection, Lake Ontario rocks too on the way home...when that was Boston-ish.

You are really getting the hang of good aquarium practices, keep it up!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Just to totally derail your thread, I was born in Flint, raised in E. Lansing & early married life in Kalamazoo. Lakes MI & Ont rocks are much more limestone-y, unlike Superior's. We still have some of our original MI aquarium rocks almost 40 years later!

Reactions: Teddy's Mom

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
I guess you can't use limestone rocks in an aquarium, so Superior rocks are indeed superior! ;-) Michigan is a nice place to visit but I think the SF area is the perfect place to live!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's not that you can't use limestone rocks (especially in our soft SF area water) but you need to take it's effect on water chemistry into account.

Not a fan of the humid summers or snowy winters, the Bay Area is so much better! I love it here!

Reactions: Teddy's Mom

Haileycookie11

AC Members
Sep 4, 2016
Can I have 3 male mollies housed with one female mollie? If the tank is big enough, it is a 38 gallon with plenty of silk plants. please help!!!I already bought the fish and so far there are no signs of any aggression whatsoever.

Haileycookie11

AC Members
Sep 4, 2016
Can I have 3 male mollies housed with one female mollie? If the tank is big enough, it is a 38 gallon with plenty of silk plants. please help!!!I already bought the fish and so far there are no signs of any aggression whatsoever.
Except one of them is left out and just swims in a corner, he is a male and im semi-worried the rest of them are like a cute little family!!!!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
You might do better to start your own thread asking this. But in short, no. In a little longer answer, you shouldn't have this many males per female. It will lead to high stress of the female that can either result in the death of her, or her being aggressive back to the males. You are not seeing any aggression because the fish are new to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store