Pond goldfish trap?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Any thoughts on how to trap/capture goldfish out of a pond? It's a ~ 16' diameter mud bottom pond that captures a lot of our runoff...goldfish seem to be doing very well and breeding profusely. I'd like to take out some of the goldies to pass on to others.

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
Get them used to feeding on the surface, then dip net them.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
if you can't lure them into feeding close to the shore and they mostly hang out in the center, you probably will have to trap them. a weightes slatted box with a funnel-shaped opening, kind of like a lobster trap, should work.

you would probably have to go out on a boat to drop it and retrieve it the next day, since pulling a box across 8 feet of muddy bottom would not be good for you or for the fish

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
if you can't lure them into feeding close to the shore and they mostly hang out in the center, you probably will have to trap them. a weightes slatted box with a funnel-shaped opening, kind of like a lobster trap, should work.

you would probably have to go out on a boat to drop it and retrieve it the next day, since pulling a box across 8 feet of muddy bottom would not be good for you or for the fish
Thanks...may give that a shot. I've been feeding them over the summer and they are much less afraid of me now, but still skittish. Bought a big enough/long enough landing net, haven't tried it yet as I havent had the need. Will try that in the Spring. If that doesnt work I'll look into traps....looks like I need a larger version of a crayfish or minnow trap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store