Lion fish and snowflake eel clean up crew ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BuzzTattoo

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2017
Hi we have one of each both about 6-8 weeks old and will be living from the 120l tank and moved to there new 450l tank next week I'm wondering if some one can do me a list of what is fine to keep with them as adults and is there a clean up crew that is ok also

Thank you for your time and help !

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Snails MIGHT be safe, but it will depend on the eel. Brittle stars are a good choice for taking care of leftovers. Most anything else will be a snack.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Snails MIGHT be safe, but it will depend on the eel. Brittle stars are a good choice for taking care of leftovers. Most anything else will be a snack.
That is true. Really no need for a clean up crew, not much to clean-up with those 2 fishes.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I've had a tank with both, and while the lions are tidy eaters, eels often are not--and it depends what you feed. Best was shell-on raw shrimp, since they could be cut into bite sized pieces for the lion and had the bit of crunch eels prefer, but I tried getting a variety to them, so would feed larger pellets and frozen foods that stay in mostly one piece. Having something that will go after the chunks that get away is helpful. You still have to clean the glass and do regular water changes, of course, and adding a snail or brittle star means that you DO need to target feed them since they really won't get enough to thrive from scraps, but it does reduce the time you need to spend with your hands in the tank. That can be a benefit if you don't have someone to monitor the fish while you're working, as lions and eels can be aggressive and territorial. Trying to clean with a lionfish displaying at your hand isn't super fun. :)

BuzzTattoo

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2017
Hello all and thank you for your responses my lion is super friendly just king nosey and the eel only apers at food time we have got a long spine black urchin for rock cleaning and a short and we have now moved to a 520L tank and now have a fx6 on there but it's the sand that still needs cleaning getting alote of the brown build up on it the rocks are all clean tho lol ;-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store