White coloring on betta spreading

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
With that number of fish in 5gal of water, I'd have to question your nitrate reading. That doesn't seem right IMO. What test kit do you use? Very common to not do the test properly with the API master test kit nitrate test.

big54bob

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
Can you get him to flair? My money is that he's a marble betta. Marble Bettas tend to change colors throuigh out there lifetime. I had a red and white betta who went from mostly white with red splotches on his back to haveing a red skunk strip over his back.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

eohippus

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
FreshyFresh, I do use the liquid API test and I can understand how easy it would be to do it wrong since there are multiple steps. I'm kind of neurotic though and do it exactly as the card says, using my kitchen timer to make sure I mix and wait long enough. I think the results are correct -- I don't overfeed (at least I don't think I do), they are tiny fish except for the betta, I have big plants and I never slack on the water changes.

eohippus

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
I don't think I can make him flare, but would that tell me something about his coloring? I just looked up what a marble betta is and the first google hit looks exactly like my fish! I think that's what he is!! Thank you!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
FreshyFresh, I do use the liquid API test and I can understand how easy it would be to do it wrong since there are multiple steps. I'm kind of neurotic though and do it exactly as the card says, using my kitchen timer to make sure I mix and wait long enough. I think the results are correct -- I don't overfeed (at least I don't think I do), they are tiny fish except for the betta, I have big plants and I never slack on the water changes.
Sounds good! I was just asking because it's so easy to do wrong. Very cool that it is working for you with the 75% WWC. Just kind of unusual given 10 fish in 5g of water. Is the 10ppm nitrates you are reading being measured just before your WWC?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds good! I was just asking because it's so easy to do wrong. Very cool that it is working for you with the 75% WWC. Just kind of unusual given 10 fish in 5g of water. Is the 10ppm nitrates you are reading being measured just before your WWC?

eohippus

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
Yes, I only do it right before a water change so I can see where the water is at its worst. I also did the test right when I came back from my trip, so that I could see where the water was at over 8 days and it was no worse (I changed the water right way anyway).

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store