Nitrate Water test reading

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
Could you guys give me your opinion on what reading you would give these nitrate tests? 1st picture. The tube on the left not sure and the tube on the right is tap water at 0ppm.
2nd picture the tube on the left I am not sure. I gave the tube on the right a 5ppm.

Just want to make sure I am reading them right. Thanks!!

20170214_184544.jpg

20170209_134923.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I usually look through the glass, not side-by-side.
But, the first looks like 10ppm, and the second 40ppm.

Reactions: sumtnfishy

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
Hey thanks for your input. Yah I try all different kind of angles and lighting for reading water test results. It is helpful to get a sense from others that what I am seeing it right Thank you!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If you hold the tube over the card, you can usually identify a bit easier as the colour that matches the reading will kind of disappear into the colour of liquid in the tube, while the higher readings will look darker. If that makes sense.

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
If you hold the tube over the card, you can usually identify a bit easier as the colour that matches the reading will kind of disappear into the colour of liquid in the tube, while the higher readings will look darker. If that makes sense.
That actually makes total sense and I think will resolve my issue of being unsure.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
And both pics have different lighting going thru/on them. Comparisons must be under the same conditions for consistencies.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
& then there's always the possibility your nitrates are in between the card color choices; say 30ppm...& my husband judges color differently than I do. If you think it might be as high as 40ppm, do some water changing to get to a "better test color" (like 10-20ppm). When in doubt, WC is my mantra, lol.

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
& then there's always the possibility your nitrates are in between the card color choices; say 30ppm...& my husband judges color differently than I do. If you think it might be as high as 40ppm, do some water changing to get to a "better test color" (like 10-20ppm). When in doubt, WC is my mantra, lol.
Gotcha fishorama! thanks

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I understand however they are completely two different pictures and readings.
True, but in the first one there is full light behind the tap sample and that is different than what the tank sample is exposed to. And between the two tests, the lighting and backgrounds are different. I feel it is best you judge all tests the same way and in the same lighting circumstances to improve consistency of readings at your call.

Reactions: sumtnfishy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store