Rescued H. Efasciatus in rough shape

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skinnyfish

AC Members
Jun 5, 2015
Canada
I just rescued an adult pair of red shoulder severums that are said to have spawned at one time. they are both in rough shape. Both have ich which is an easy fix. The female is blind in one eye due to a recent injury. She also has a wound/sore above her upper lip. It does not look like HITH. The male has the same wound and is also missing a big chunk of his soft dorsal fin almost down to his back. Im assuming they are combat injuries but I dont know if they fought each other or another fish. They seem pretty mellow.

Any thoughts on if these are combat or spawning injuries and how best to treat them? Any chance the males dorsal fin will grow back? I have a pleco that grew back after a similar fin injury but it wasnt as bad as this.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Keep nitrates as low as possible with water changes and they should heal right up. My oscar and severum get scrapes and marks all the time. Wounds are gone in a day or two.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
I just rescued an adult pair of red shoulder severums that are said to have spawned at one time. they are both in rough shape. Both have ich which is an easy fix. The female is blind in one eye due to a recent injury. She also has a wound/sore above her upper lip. It does not look like HITH. The male has the same wound and is also missing a big chunk of his soft dorsal fin almost down to his back. Im assuming they are combat injuries but I dont know if they fought each other or another fish. They seem pretty mellow.

Any thoughts on if these are combat or spawning injuries and how best to treat them? Any chance the males dorsal fin will grow back? I have a pleco that grew back after a similar fin injury but it wasnt as bad as this.
Any updates on how they are doing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store