A problem with tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Plecos do not eat poop. There are some that need algae, some that need meaty foods--but none that will survive without supplemental feeding. Most all of them will produce massive amounts of waste, as well.

I would not advise adding any more fish to your tank until you remove the inhabitants you aren't keeping.

jaymekelley

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
Hey, the jack Dempsey's aren't African, if I remember right, right? My husband is wanting to trade the Africans for ps4 games for the kids, but that means I get to keep the sa/cas

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
In the long run it will save money, but I have already bought their food for the month. If I donated them all right now, the money I spent on the food would be for nothing, the money I spent on the fish would be for nothing, the money I spent on the tank and the drops and the filters, and the new light bar, the bubbler, would all be for nothing. So, it would take forever before the amount that I'm saving would actually be saved versus the cost I'm already into on this setup. We are still somewhat arguing about what set of fish we want to keep, we agree to keep the rope fish and the peacock, we agree that Snowball will be going to Trina's house to live in her tank. But he wants to keep convicts, I wanna keep Kenyis. I feel like we only need a few famales to make this male Kenyi happy, if I can trade what I have for what the male needs, I would be totally satisfied. But my husband is not interested in giving the fish away and waiting the amount of time it would take to break even to get more fish, and I understand. Once we decide what to keep we can take care of their needs ourselves. I like the fish, and I feel that every living creature deserves some respect, but I agree with my husband that at the end of the day a fish is a fish and I also don't wanna just throw away money until later. Haven't had any casualties (other than these poor feeder fish, that was a kind of sortid affair...) since the Oscars, I'm thinking it could be worse. Wanna figure out what is expected of me to care for them, then weed out the tank accordingly.
Just make your life easy and get rid of the 3 African cichlids. The Ropefish and Peacock eel will be fine with the Jack Dempseys and Convicts. I have kept these combos before. and i currently have 11 tanks of SA/CA cichlids - about to be 12, plus 30 years experience. Don't waste your life keeping African cichlids lol

Your best bet for feeding Plecos is slice a small zucchini in half and rubberband it to a small rock and sink it in the tank. Other fish will eat it as well.

jaymekelley

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
Just make your life easy and get rid of the 3 African cichlids. The Ropefish and Peacock eel will be fine with the Jack Dempseys and Convicts. I have kept these combos before. and i currently have 11 tanks of SA/CA cichlids - about to be 12, plus 30 years experience. Don't waste your life keeping African cichlids lol
Okay, that's what hubby decided to do anyway. I didn't argue when he told me. He's really only concerned about the convict, and I suggested we let all of the other ones be sold and just keep her, the ropefish, the peacock, and maybe get a male convict to keep with her. But I think he wants to put my dragon fish (2) in there. I think there's enough tank space, but they are needing to go brackish, so I'm trying to explain to him that that won't work long-term in a freshwater tank.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Okay, that's what hubby decided to do anyway. I didn't argue when he told me. He's really only concerned about the convict, and I suggested we let all of the other ones be sold and just keep her, the ropefish, the peacock, and maybe get a male convict to keep with her. But I think he wants to put my dragon fish (2) in there. I think there's enough tank space, but they are needing to go brackish, so I'm trying to explain to him that that won't work long-term in a freshwater tank.
no, just keep the Convict female alone and the 2 Jack Dempseys will be enough of a handful. They will get too big for the tank eventually, but it will take years to happen. You DON'T want a pair of Convicts.....they will over-run the entire tank and kill everything that comes near them. ONE CONVICT LOLOLOL, no pairs.

So let me get this straight - you will be keeping 5 fish total?

jaymekelley

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
no, just keep the Convict female alone and the 2 Jack Dempseys will be enough of a handful. They will get too big for the tank eventually, but it will take years to happen. You DON'T want a pair of Convicts.....they will over-run the entire tank and kill everything that comes near them. ONE CONVICT LOLOLOL, no pairs.

So let me get this straight - you will be keeping 5 fish total?
We kept one jack Dempsey, and the convict. The tank is MUCH more peaceful. But I think something is wrong with Ace. Is it normal for him to float like this? I think he's dying... Been doing water changes and stuff, he was even more active once we got the other fish out of there yesterday... He usually let's us pet him some, but when I pet him he doesn't swim around my wrist today... I picked him up some and he just slid downwards out of my hand and floated back up... His fins are fluttering but not much, thought he was sleeping at first but now I'm not sure... I added another bubbler to the tank, maybe too much oxygen? Is that possible?

14877022377032125323584.jpg

jaymekelley

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
Th
That is definitely not good. You need to do a water change immediately.
That was my though, also, because I forgot to change the water yesterday, so I changed it, but he didn't perk up and now I'm pretty sure he's dead. I don't understand, none of the other fish are showing any symptoms of a problem, even these stupid feeder fish are still sticking around and fine, figured they would have shorter lives?

jaymekelley

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
That is definitely not good. You need to do a water change immediately.
I was kind of looking at his body, and he had a weird dry patch on his tail. Maybe he was sick? I just added some of that aquarium salt to the tank when the other fish left, wouldn't that have helped to heal any skin problem? Note: I just picked him up and he's not read, but def having issues

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store