A problem with tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jaymekelley

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
Polies are actually pretty sensitive to water quality. The feeder fish you have are not as sensitive. There is a very real chance that you have some pretty high ammonia levels and that did him in.
Makes sense. I had read some other pages on google that said that may have been the problem because of how he was acting.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Gasping, lethargy, and not swimming right all signs of ammonia/nitrite poisoning.

Handling him probably didn't help, especially if you use any kind of lotions.

jaymekelley

AC Members
Feb 1, 2017
I don't use any lotions or anything like that, but I didn't know it could be hurting him, I thought he would be comforted some by it because he always let's us pet him

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Physical contact removes some of the slime coat and that increases the likelihood of infection, parasites and damage from abrasions. These guys have horrible, so he's sensing there is something there and if you have just fed him he smells food on it. He's looking to find food more than likely.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Yeah, I know. Need a kit. Idk if we are going to get the water tested tonight, the cops are out really bad out here today and the other fish seem fine, but I liked keeping him and I'm sire I'll want another one, but I need to make sure my levels are right before I get another one or my other fish start dying.
Physical contact removes some of the slime coat and that increases the likelihood of infection, parasites and damage from abrasions. These guys have horrible, so he's sensing there is something there and if you have just fed him he smells food on it. He's looking to find food more than likely.
I'm guessing you meant to say "horrible eyesight"?

Fish and Game suggests when fishing to Catch-and-release (and my mentor also told me a long time ago for handling amphibians) that you should always wet your hands when handling a fish or amphibian to prevent removal of slime-coat - do you really think stroking the head of a wet-pet would cause slime-coat issues while in the water?

It's a good point you make, but i'm curious why preventative measures like that would be recommended to combat this issue.

Thoughts?

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Yes I did mean that, the problem that arises when doing late night analysis and writing out responses here ...

Wetting your hands does certainly help a lot. But the oils from your skin still do some damage. If a fish is in good health it likely won't be an issue, but it will still cause problems. I use my hands all the time to transfer when my fish are under anaesthesia, but I do wear nitrile gloves, as hands don't do as much damage as an abrasive net. But you are still going to strip some away, but the damage done comes down to the health of the fish.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Yes I did mean that, the problem that arises when doing late night analysis and writing out responses here ...

Wetting your hands does certainly help a lot. But the oils from your skin still do some damage. If a fish is in good health it likely won't be an issue, but it will still cause problems. I use my hands all the time to transfer when my fish are under anaesthesia, but I do wear nitrile gloves, as hands don't do as much damage as an abrasive net. But you are still going to strip some away, but the damage done comes down to the health of the fish.
you keep up the good work, I like that answer....... how much longer until u get ur V.M.D.?

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If all goes as planned I'll have my thesis submitted in Sept 2019 at the latest. That'll put the awarding of my fancy piece of paper and title of PhD in spring 2020.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store