LED lighting "IN" the aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

femurphy77

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
After a long hiatus I'm in the process of bringing my 180G back to life and in doing so I'm upping the game; thinking about sump filtration, diy "stone" background and some in water led lighting. I'm not talking about the commercially available light bars but individual leds strategically placed to highlight certain features of the underwater environment. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on this? Obviously I don't won't to electrocute the occupants of the tank or the house it sits in!!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
All kinds of options for in-tank Leds online, but like said, you'll have to place them so you can clean them off.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
If the light is strong enough, it won't get growth over the LED.
I am going to call shenanigans on that claim. There isn't a light strong enough to prevent algae growth on the lens underwater. I have personally cleaned algae off of 1000 watt metal halide lenses that were underwater at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. And they are orders of magnitude brighter than any LED array at 2". Not to mention they have the added high heat as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store