What is everything I need for a sponge filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TatteredOcean

AC Members
Jan 25, 2017
Hello, I want to get a sponge filter for my male Betta, Hawking because his filter is too strong and I plan to eventually move him to my 20gal and put Molly fry his tank(a 5.5gal). I can't seem to find everything I need for one, if someone could give me a list of everything I need it would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1061.JPG

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are sponge filters sold as a kit, or you can assemble it piecemeal, but that will probably cost more and be fiddly. It's basically a sponge with a hole all the way or partially through, some sort of diffuser/airstone, air line tubing, an air pump and a weight to keep the sponge submerged. I like having a check valve and and adjustment valve as well, but they're not required, just good practice.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
A check valve should not be needed if you keep the air pump above the tank, but I would consider essential if you have the pump below the tank, say on the floor.

In a nutshell the water will siphon through the airline if you lose power or for some other reason it doesn't push air through the airline. at the end, this will likely mean water and mains electricity mixing, which is not a good idea.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I've used a lot of Hydro sponge filters, but really, there isn't a huge difference between most of them that I've seen. The quality of the sponge, maybe, in which case Swiss Tropical is the way to go.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Jungle make/made one that basically sat on the bottom of the tank, maybe an inch or so tall... might work better than a standard one if space is limited.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It looks like they don't any more.

but I do agree, Swiss tropicals are really the way to go. Not just fir the quality of the foam, but their jet lifter system is awesome too.

But, if space is limited in your tank, I would likely use that as the primary consideration. Note that air powered box filters will likely work as well as a sponge filter, and perhaps you can find a smaller one of those

Reactions: Frank Castle

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you can afford the space, I'd look into a HMF for the tank ;)

A kind of sponge filter, but the size of one of the walls of your tank.

If you want more space in the tank itself, and don't mind a little googling, look into a De ruyne filter.

Look towards killifish keepers for cheap ways of filtration for smaller tanks... they have the most experience.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I can't find those low profile ones Doug was referring to above, but I've seen them in use. One of my LFSs that's been around forever uses them in their display tanks and just basically throws (some) gravel over the top of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store