Ick help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ninluva

Registered Member
Feb 21, 2017
Have a 10 gallon tank. Cycled it for a month. Added 5 tetra glofish 1 super small pleco. One tetra died 4 days ago. Noticed another yesterday has ick. Got home from work today pleco dead. Treated tank with Marineland ick remedy. Accidentally put double the dose I was supposed to. Did immediate 50% water change. I can't increase water temp, my heater only had one setting. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Do you think my fish will be ok?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Follow the dosing directions on the med. Make sure you remove any carbon from your filter. I don't see double dosing & immediate WC being a problem, good you noticed right away. I'd continue the treatment for at least 2 weeks to make sure you kill all the stages ich goes through. Heat speeds up the disease stages but you don't have to raise temp. I don't remember how much it slows down at what temp. Good Luck! Sounds like you caught it early.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Don't add any more fish until there has been no sign of ich for at least 2 weeks after the last day of treatment...and might want to look into either setting up a quarantine tank, or finding an LFS that does a better job of quarantining animals before selling them to you.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
How did you cycle the tank exactly?

Ninluva

Registered Member
Feb 21, 2017
Now my fish has no tail fin and sitting on bottom of tank. Any chance I can save it?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, it sounds like you have at least 2 problems: ich & fin rot? (bacterial or?) It seems dire for your tailless fish. I hate to say but it might be better to euthanize & concentrate your efforts on fish that have a better chance. There is a point of no return :(, I'm sorry.

What are you tanks parameters? Ammonia, nitrite & nitrAte?

Was it truly cycled? A month is pretty fast, what cycling method did you use?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store