What is everything I need for a sponge filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I can't find those low profile ones Doug was referring to above, but I've seen them in use. One of my LFSs that's been around forever uses them in their display tanks and just basically throws (some) gravel over the top of them.
They are discontinued now... it's been over a decade since I bought them too. You can find them on ebay though.

If I wanted simple, cheap and easy to buy; I'd go with the ATI Hydro mini.

If I wasn't as worried about size or cost, but wanted the best filtration, I'd go with something poret foam based from swiss tropicals.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yes, or put the air pump above the level of the aquarium.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
I use several different kinds with different flow ratings I have one that is just a sponge and has airline connected to it, I also have plastic assemble-yourself corner sponge filters and some Triple-intake plastic sponge filters from Lee's. I use some type of media, like just rocks in the bottom, then a layer of filter wool, then filter pad on top.

I also mount the air pump on the walls above the tank AND use 4-6 way Gang-valves to run several of them from the same air pump and Gang-valves allow you to control the air flow to each on individually
20120924120342500.jpg lees-triple-flow-corner-aquarium-filter.jpg PG02708.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store