Getting back into it

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mogymog

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2009
So.. having been gone for 8 years from the site, and not having any fish for least that long. Decided to try getting back into fish.. Mainly cause I get get furry pets, and reptiles are a whole nother thing. Highly thinking of doing a planted one, just so I have something to stare at for the 4+ weeks till I can put fish into it.. But, what I need is just some basic infos.

Like, best type of substrate for plants, best plants for new planterer, what fish would be best for a tank that tall. I was looking at maybe Tetras, or something like them. Maybe a cory type or 2, maybe a snail or 500, not sure. Basically, all that jazz. I have a 20G Extra Tall, apparently is what it's called now. Also, lid, and I'm not sure about light, in the winter we get like 1/2 hour of sun and in the summer we get like 50 hours a day of sun.. Also, does it need to have like wallpaper/backdrops on it, or can it be exposed on all sides to light, with the proper plant coverage in all? So to sum it up..

Bests Subtsrats for plants
Best Fish for a tall/kinda skinish tank
Best most hearty kind of plants
Lid/light combo.. Just lid, not sure.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Is the tank 20inches x 10 x how high, 20inches? That's what I'm thinking anyway. Any substrate can work with plants, some aren't planted at all. Ferns, mosses & anubias are usually tied or glued to wood or rocks & only need lower light. They'd be a good starting point. Crypts are mostly lower light too & not too fussy about substrate but like root tab ferts.

Because your surface area is small you need to stock like it's a 10g. Dwarf corys like habrosus or pygmaus (more midwater swimmers) would work, say 6 or 7; or red cherry shrimp?. & some small schooling fish like neons or dwarf rasboras, 6-8. I'd go with just 1 species of each bottom & midwater swimmers.

Mogymog

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2009
Ok.. finally got some accurate measurements of it. Apparently, it's not a 20gallong. It's 24x12x19.5 roughly, so a 24gal tank. Does that change any of aspects of what I can put into it..

So, almost any strat can be used then for plants. Whats the best, cost effective strat for them? Or, if I get like moss/ferns just rocks will do, and get whatever kind of rock I like? I've never used a light system on a fish/plant tank before, so I also am compeltely clueless on that.. as well as keeping my plants alive. From what I read, you need to add extra CO2 to the water so they can use it, is there anyway for that. Will I really need it, or will the lighting system provide enough?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You don't need co2 for those plants I listed & a few others. That's a better footprint than I thought but I'm going to stick to my suggestions but maybe add a honey gourami or a few more of each tank layer of fish. Most of the schooler/shoaler fish (corys & raboras or tetras) are more interesting in bigger groups. Shrimp are more fun than you might think if you haven't kept them.

I'm old school for lighting, I use T-5s mostly but LEDs are the current thing. I really don't think you or your plants, even moss, will be happy with just the light that comes from your windows, you need a 24inch light equivalent to 2 T-5s for a minimum with that depth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store