Gourami builds bubble nests but bubbles seem to "pop" and disappear!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shenal Anthony

Registered Member
Feb 23, 2017
So I paired up my male blue gourami and female gourami together in an attempt to make them breed. The tank has more than enough space and the female has plenty of spots to hide. After about 3 days of pairing them my male gourmai is starting to build a bubble nest. His colours are much darker and wonderful! The problem is that I was watching him build a bubble nest earlier and whenever he blows new bubbles, the bubbles seem to "pop" and disappear in couple of seconds. Its like he tries to build a nest but the bubbles burst in a couple of seconds . The water flow is very still, there is no filtration and the water is very very clean. Also I have put a bunch of floating plants but he does not seem interested in them. This is also the males first time building a nest so I'm guessing its something to do with experience haha? The female does not do much , she just stares at the male building the nest

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd give them some time. What kind of plants did you add? My croaking gouramies build there nest in duckweed on the lee side of a riccia mat.

Out of curiosity, what are your water chemistry parameters (KH/GH/pH, etc). I know with some species, water chemistry impacts fertility success--in some waters, the egg ends up too hard for the milt to penetrate and fertilize. I'm wondering if your water is exceptionally hard, which impacts 'regular' bubble formation, like from soap. Fish use saliva, but it might work on similar chemistry.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I'm curious as to why there is no filtration? Regardless of the water looking clean, it can still not have correct parameters. Water chemistry can effect bubble formation from what I have read. Harder water won't form them as easily as soft water will.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I read the 'no filtration' comment to mean there wasn't anything creating surface movement, as that can disrupt a bubble nest, although my paradise fish just go to the far corner and build the nest along the glass wall.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
If the bubbles are popping, then the tanks humidity is too low. Need to seal the top a little better.

Reactions: fishorama
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store