Borneo blackwater tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rodahl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2014
Tucson, AZ
OK, here goes:
Decided to set up a Borneo blackwater tank for my B. brigittae. Got out my Fluvial Spec V and added a 50 watt heater and adjusted the filter sponges so my guys didn't get sucked in. (made that mistake previously), added a mature planting on Mopani wood and an additional of new Mopani wood planted with a few Java ferns Windelov. Here's an image of them in holding:

and here's the tank in assembly:

After finishing the setup waited overnight to bring temp. up and here's the new setup with my B. brigittae:
IMG_4811.jpg IMG_4838.jpg IMG_4847.jpg IMG_4841.jpg IMG_4811.jpg IMG_4843.jpg
I'm figuring the Mopani wood and an Indian almond leaf which I added will slowly darken the water as well as adding some protozoan life for the fish.
With luck I'll get some breeding and the fry have lot's of spots to hide. Will be interesting to see if this project is successful.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I know its a small tank, but I can't help but get nervous with it hanging over the edge a bit. It looks really nice though!

rodahl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2014
Tucson, AZ
This is an experiment. Here's an image:
IMG_4847.jpg
This is the blackwater effect I'm attempting to get. I think in time the tannins will leach from the Mopani wood and the Indian almond leaf to achieve this effect.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
You will likely see some tea colour in short time. Do you have carbon in your filter? That will reduce the amount of tannins you are seeing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store