Tips and ideas for a planted tank with sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Doolin94

AC Members
Feb 10, 2017
So I have had my tanked cycled now and fish in there for the past two months. It has a sand bottom but now instead of the fake pink and purple plants I would like to have actual plants. Any ideas on planting a tank with with sand?

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
So I have had my tanked cycled now and fish in there for the past two months. It has a sand bottom but now instead of the fake pink and purple plants I would like to have actual plants. Any ideas on planting a tank with with sand?
My planted tank has sand. Many plants do well, and those that don't just need root tabs. I had a tank back in the day that had a couple of swords take it over without CO2 or any certs. Anubias and Java fern work well (mine are attached to driftwood), and crypts do well with tabs.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have a sand tank too. Like Bunsen said, anubias, ferns & mosses attached to wood. Swords & crypts with root tabs, vallisneria & sag too. A few stem plants grow well too. Ground covers IME do not.

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
I have a sand tank too. Like Bunsen said, anubias, ferns & mosses attached to wood. Swords & crypts with root tabs, vallisneria & sag too. A few stem plants grow well too. Ground covers IME do not.
I forgot vals. That's silly since I have some in my tank. If you are not feeling snobby about plants, I have had luck with the cheap aponogetons bulbs from Walmart/Petco too.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Many of us grow plants in sand, it is a good substrate. It is the lights that is the most important.

Doolin94

AC Members
Feb 10, 2017
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try. I kinda want to switch becasue my arficfiacl stuff gets dirty and is a pain to clean so I'm thinking maybe natural stuff would be a better idea. I have a big LED light bar going across the top of the 55gal tank so it should be enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store