Putting goldfish in a prior cichlids set up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inharmony222

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2017
I used to have cichlids but after we moved an re-homed my cichlids I decided to setup my 65 gal tank with goldfish. I am wondering if it's ok to put goldfish in my prior cichlid setup? After doing a little bit of research it sounds like the substrate is not appropriate as it is crushed coral and I have lava rock spaghetti Stone and other Coral type Rock for caves that may hurt their fins. Should I empty the tank and start from scratch?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too agree with Tiff.

IMO, I would start over from scratch.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
I used to have cichlids but after we moved an re-homed my cichlids I decided to setup my 65 gal tank with goldfish. I am wondering if it's ok to put goldfish in my prior cichlid setup? After doing a little bit of research it sounds like the substrate is not appropriate as it is crushed coral and I have lava rock spaghetti Stone and other Coral type Rock for caves that may hurt their fins. Should I empty the tank and start from scratch?
Why do boring goldfish? Why not something cool and colorful like SA-Cichlids? Many stay small enough for a 65g and can make good community tankmates. From where i'm at it sounds like you're going backwards instead of forward :) Acaras, Keyholes, smaller Cichlasoma, Geophagus, Dwarf Pikes, even a few CA might work too like Rainbows, Convicts, Nicaraguense, Thorichthys, Cryptoheros, Criboheros, Mesonauta, Salvini and other Amatitlania.

You could also do a nice planted community with Apistogramma and Mikrogeophagus, Kribensis and various schooling Tetras, or Danios or something like that and some Corydoras

lol goldfish get too big for tanks, they belong in ponds, IMO

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Goldfish are boring? To each his own I guess. Fancy goldfish in a 65g are fine. You could easily have 5 of them in there once you get the decor and substrate thing sorted.

Inharmony222

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2017
Yes I know it seems backwards. A little more info may help lol! My new house is "off grid" we have no hydro tie in strictly solar powered. I love cichlids but the problem is the heater was the biggest draw for electricity. More than our fridge uses. So I have to do cold water fish and no plants because I can't run a light either. I know there are cold water tolerant tetras and the few other fish but I did try minows already and it didn't go well. I think goldfish are really pretty but yes I understand they are often judged as a "beginner fish"

Inharmony222

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2017
Why do boring goldfish? Why not something cool and colorful like SA-Cichlids? Many stay small enough for a 65g and can make good community tankmates. From where i'm at it sounds like you're going backwards instead of forward :) Acaras, Keyholes, smaller Cichlasoma, Geophagus, Dwarf Pikes, even a few CA might work too like Rainbows, Convicts, Nicaraguense, Thorichthys, Cryptoheros, Criboheros, Mesonauta, Salvini and other Amatitlania.

You could also do a nice planted community with Apistogramma and Mikrogeophagus, Kribensis and various schooling Tetras, or Danios or something like that and some Corydoras

lol goldfish get too big for tanks, they belong in ponds, IMO
Sorry if this is a repeat, I posted but don't see my post now. Some history behind my thinking: when we moved we built a "off grid" home when we measured the power usage my tank heater used more than our fridge. I love my cichlids but can no longer have a heated tank. Also cannot have real plants because I can't leave a light on for them to get proper lighting. I realize that there are other minnows and some tetras that are cold water tolerant I did try White Cloud minnows and that did not go well so I decided to try goldfish. I think they're quite pretty! As a child I had a goldfish that lived twelve or fifteen years! I also have two children myself now who I think will enjoy the Goldfish quite a bit.

20170324_174817.jpg

Inharmony222

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2017
So we decided to get a black moor and a snail to start. I took out the crushed Coral and all the rocks that where lava rock spaghetti Stone or other types of coral I left one rock in that isn't Sharp I think he'll be okay with that? We had the fish for a few days now and I noticed he has white spots I don't think it is ich, I think it may be the dust remanence from the coral sticking to him. It is almost like there's a clear slime coat on him in one spot and some of the white spots are dangling in the water off of that slimy coat not attached to his skin at all. He also is acting completely normal not rubbing against anything no fins clamping so he seems fine. Here's a picture

20170324_174726.jpg

20170324_174649.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Stepping on toes there Frank. I do not have any Gold Fish, but I think they are very beautiful.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Stepping on toes there Frank. I do not have any Gold Fish, but I think they are very beautiful.
even still, Goldfish can grow HUGE....I have seen some in the 24" range....you would be MUCH better off keeping them in a pond

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store