Eheim 2215 Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I won an eBay auction last night for a 3 week old Ehiem 2215 canister filter. I paid $55 for the thing with local pickup and I got a receipt, so I can even claim the warrranty. Overall a pretty sweet deal.

I washed all the media out and set it up on my 44 gallon pentagon tank. As I was connecting it all up, I noticed the original owner had cut the tubing and the intake tube was too short. i could not find any place near me that sold Eheim tubing by the foot, and I didn't want to buy 10 feet for $20.00. So I went to Home Depot and bought 10 feet of 1/2" ID - 5/8" OD tubing for $4.49 and cut to length.

The questions I have are:
  1. The 1/2" tubing seems ever so slightly looser than the standard Eheim 12/16mm tubing. There's a lock nut on the disconnect value, but the connection to the intake tube is just friction fit. Should I be concerned about it coming loose? Should I clamp it or zip tie it?
  2. The thing is running in the tank with an Aquaclear 70 that I plan to remove at some point. How long should I leave the two running side by side before I can assume that there's enough nitrifying bacteria in the canister to handle the bioload?
  3. Any benefits to lubing the impeller with some Vaseline, silicone grease, or teflon lubricant?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I would use a worm gear clamp on the intake pipe, just be sure not to over tighten and crack the pipe. Just snug enough not to allow the hose to move on the pipe.

I have never seen the need to use lube on the impeller but do use either regular Vaseline, plumber's o-ring grease or Lifegard silicone aquarium o-ring lube on any and all o-rings and gaskets.

I leave the old filter at least a couple weeks when adding a new filter with the intention to remove the old filter.

BTW, nice pickup price on the filter!!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I would use a worm gear clamp on the intake pipe, just be sure not to over tighten and crack the pipe. Just snug enough not to allow the hose to move on the pipe.

I have never seen the need to use lube on the impeller but do use either regular Vaseline, plumber's o-ring grease or Lifegard silicone aquarium o-ring lube on any and all o-rings and gaskets.

I leave the old filter at least a couple weeks when adding a new filter with the intention to remove the old filter.

BTW, nice pickup price on the filter!!
I know! It was quite shocked I won the auction. I was a little worried about using a canister filter without a priming feature or media baskets. But after I set it up and got it primed, I realized none of that stuff was really that big a deal.

I love the intake on the bottom and the return on the top, pretty much eliminating bypass. Makes me want to replace the Fluval 305 I have on my 55 gallon with an Eheim.

I did have a slight problem with a leak on the intake elbow. Either I or the previous owner over-tightened it, which caused the o-ring to deform. I unscrewed it and got the leak down to a very slow drip (1 drop every 20 seconds or so), which is still obviously unacceptable. So I unscrewed the return elbow from the canister and wrapped Teflon tape around it 3-4 times and screwed it back in. No leak now. Been checking it every 30 minutes or so for the last 10 hours. Still dry as can be.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't have that filter but I appreciate your insights. A club friend had that Ehiem (or similar, not sure of the model #) for $50 at a recent meet. Seems like maybe I should jump on it if it's still available for my leap into co2...my Rena XP3 seems like overkill on a 20g long. What do you guys think?

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Depends on the model of Eheim. If you get a 2215 or 2217 you may be blowing your fish all over the tank. The Eheim Classic series has been around for a long time. The fact that I see so few on the used market is a testament to how well they work.

My understanding is that, since they started making them in China, there have more QC issues than in the past. But if you get one that works, it will work for a long time. If you have a German built one, you kids will probably inherit it.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Has anyone ever tried to make media baskets for this thing? I know media baskets really are a nice to have more than a have to have.

Seems like a good job for a 3D printer and some o-rings.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Andy, I've never owned an Eheim classic, but IMO, fitting it with media baskets defeats their purpose of being simple and effective as-is. $50 is a good deal for a like new used one. The cheapest I've seen 2215-17's on sale online is $100-130 all-in.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, just so you know, my club friend's is a Nat Geo knock off of a Eheim 2232 Pro...a lesser filter but not bad from what I've read...just to confuse things, sorry Andy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store