Filter dilemma

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RhondaE

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2017
Setting up new 60 gallon freshwater tank. Want to use a canister filter, do not want one hanging on the back. Hydro 350 looks like a good one but doesn't come with charcoal media. Does anyone know if charcoal can be used in this filter .... Is charcoal needed?

predatorkeeper87

AC Members
May 30, 2015
I don't know what that canister is rated for gallon-wise, but whatever it says it can handle, cut it in half, because loaded with media most canisters are lucky to get even 50% of the GPH they say. Charcoal is completely unnecessary unless you are attempting to pull medication or tannins out of the water.

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
I don't know anything about Hydor filters, but they're certainly not one of the leading brands in the US, where I live. I'm familiar with Eheims and Fluvals.

Charcoal/carbon is unnecessary, as predatorkeeper87 says. I don't use it in any of my canisters.

Reactions: Frank Castle

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, like said, the carbon can be used to take odors, meds or cloudiness out of the water. Some folks in the hobby like to use it, some don't. I don't run any chemical medias like carbon, only mechanical and bio media. You've got lots of options for a canister, especially if cost is not a concern. The're all good!

Reactions: Frank Castle

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, like said, the carbon can be used to take odors, meds or cloudiness out of the water. Some folks in the hobby like to use it, some don't. I don't run any chemical medias like carbon, only mechanical and bio media. You've got lots of options for a canister, especially if cost is not a concern. The're all good!

Stotafishlove

Registered Member
Mar 21, 2017
Would a Fluval FX4 be overkill on a planted 65 gallon tank?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Would a Fluval FX4 be overkill on a planted 65 gallon tank?
Very much so IMO. I'd rather have 2 smaller canisters, or one canister and one HOB.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store