Opinions on some DIY lighting I am trying out

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Aquarium lighting, in my opinion, is ridiculously overpriced. So I am always looking for a DIY solution that will allow me to light up my tank for far less than store bought lights. And, I would like them to at least help grow some types of plants.

So, I came across these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Solla-Flood-2250LM-5500-6500K-Waterproof/dp/B019O1H3RS

I attached a PC power cord to it and plugged it in. The light seems nice and bright and the product description claims it's 5500K-6500K, which should be a good range for plant growth.

I'm curious if anyone else has used this kind of light, or perhaps might be able to read the description on Amazon and offer an opinion on the light.

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
I have a 92 corner tank and I use 2 of these to try and hit the back of the tank. I think that I should have went with 2 20w lights in stead of the 10 w lights that I got, but they seem to do OK. I have seen them around, and the "King of DIY" on youtube has had success with them. My under powered ones are nice for allowing me to simulate sunrise/sunset, though in a step wise fashion.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
The newer version of the light came in today. I plugged it in and now have 60W of LED light on this tank. I have to say, this thing will grow plants. I have a low tech tank with east to grow plants. But everything has new leaves on it now.

And the tank is REALLY BRIGHT now with two of those lights on there.

Overall, I'm impressed. I don't know how it would do in a high tech tank, but you could, in theory, smack 2 50W flood lights on a long tank, and get 8,000 lumens of light for $75.00. Or do 4 30W lights across a 55 gallon for 9600 lumens of light for $84.00.

I think that's a pretty good deal.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Here is a pic of the tank with the two flood lights on it. The tank is a bit of a mess and really needs a rescape to look even half decent. But hopefully this gives you an idea of how the light looks. Took this with my iPhone 6S. No retouching. No flash. All lights off except the ones on the tank.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm personally more of a fan of having a variable light spectrum,

My concern would be the lighting beam angle being 120 degrees, and how the plants/tank physically look under this light. 120* is good for a flood light, but for an aquarium you would probably prefer the majority of the light being directed into the tank, I'm personally much cooler with 60 or 90 (as an example)

The lighting being 5500 - 6000K doesn't really give a good impresion of the CRI of the light, or the actual spectrum.. it's more of an anverage of how all the wavelengths of light will work together.

if it's working for you.. it's great.. there's no doubt it will grow plants. But I doubt it would be something I'd actually buy unless it was for a tank being used to farm or grow out plants... not as a display.

But in the end, it's all about what works :)

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
I'm personally more of a fan of having a variable light spectrum,

My concern would be the lighting beam angle being 120 degrees, and how the plants/tank physically look under this light. 120* is good for a flood light, but for an aquarium you would probably prefer the majority of the light being directed into the tank, I'm personally much cooler with 60 or 90 (as an example)

The lighting being 5500 - 6000K doesn't really give a good impresion of the CRI of the light, or the actual spectrum.. it's more of an anverage of how all the wavelengths of light will work together.

if it's working for you.. it's great.. there's no doubt it will grow plants. But I doubt it would be something I'd actually buy unless it was for a tank being used to farm or grow out plants... not as a display.

But in the end, it's all about what works :)
I put my 2 10 W spots on my kids' 20 high, and they look pretty good IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store